buying leather???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
sorry guys but i am an official noob with this leather work thing but i am just starting but cant seem to find simple plain 3.5 or 4mm veg taned leather on somewhere like tandy any links but also any general comments/tips about leather work as i have no tools but know they are expensive so will just start with a stitch groover, stitch marker, awl and maybe a edge beveller.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2012
uk
having looked a bit more at leprevo they seem great but now i need to ask what part of the cow should i have eg back,shoulders etc etc and for things like making knife sheath's or axe masks and similar i think i need full grain or am i wrong there again

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
cant go wrong with full grain shoulders. they should still have some cheap shoulders in the special offers i picked up some 3mm sego rather cheap and i remember there being alot of buffalo shoulders which will be good.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
i see so if i am just making knife sheaths and similar it could be any thing from cow to buffalo or even reindeer if any were to be going cheap?

Mar 14, 2012
uk
thanks shall begin saving then to buy basic tools and a small amount of leather as i have already been given a small amount of dye,thread,some needles and a spongey thingy to apply the dye! :D

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
probably not at that thickness, but you are getting a long narrow strip so size is more an issue there. but at that price, as its on sale, may be worth a go,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE