Bushcraft Tarp Setup In Under 60 Seconds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

Its a little play on words but this is my short little video filmed in the woods at the weekend capturing my routine of setting up my tarp.

I hope you enjoy.

[video=youtube;4FO_4C-86sI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FO_4C-86sI[/video]

Please Subscribe_Button.pngif you like the video and let me know your thoughts I would be grateful for any comments.

Cheers Tim

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
What a beautiful video! May I ask what you are using as a camera?
Beautifully executed!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks all.

@Arya i have a Canon 80D and using a 50mm lens in this video.

@SwissBrit no i am just learning as I go.

@Bishop. It's a great knot. It's a shame i went out of frame when fliming.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Good camera technique to be sure.

As video art goes, I think it could have stood being a little longer. Editing it down to 50 seconds means it doesn't flow as well as it could. Maybe showing all of one of the knots, or pounding in a peg. I am trying to remember the techniques used in similar films I have seen. I think that they punctuate the activity with shots from elsewhere which gives a sense that time has passed for the activity without actually having a long video.

I think it is a pity that the title is essentially click-bait. Good content shouldn't need to pretend to be something it isn't, and that title is misleading enough that I want to say its a lie. You call it a play on words, but if I was looking for how to set up a tarp and saw that title, I would read it in just one way, which is that you would be demonstrating a super fast method of setting up a tarp.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Good camera technique to be sure.

As video art goes, I think it could have stood being a little longer. Editing it down to 50 seconds means it doesn't flow as well as it could. Maybe showing all of one of the knots, or pounding in a peg. I am trying to remember the techniques used in similar films I have seen. I think that they punctuate the activity with shots from elsewhere which gives a sense that time has passed for the activity without actually having a long video.

I think it is a pity that the title is essentially click-bait. Good content shouldn't need to pretend to be something it isn't, and that title is misleading enough that I want to say its a lie. You call it a play on words, but if I was looking for how to set up a tarp and saw that title, I would read it in just one way, which is that you would be demonstrating a super fast method of setting up a tarp.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, very much appreciated.

The video was short as some shots did not come out as well as i had hoped, as you say i did film or I thought i filmed banging the pegs in and few more knots, but i think i failed to hit record or they were not in frame enough. I was filming for 2 days for another channel so I had very little time to film my own video, but wanted to make something I managed to capture in the 30 mins i had to myself.

As for the click bait title I believe there is nothing wrong with a good title which actually links to the video, the whole art of YouTube is to be creative and entertaining. If i titled the video a tarp setup in under 60 seconds and then just talked about a tarp from a table top or the video completely unrelated then i would say its bad click bait and wasting peoples time. You could title the video in such a way it could never be found by people, but grabbing peoples attention with a good thumbnail and title that matches the video is a balancing act. I knew some people may take offence by it but its something i am happy to live with, its an art that I am learning.

again thanks for your comments very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Baldman Jump

Aug 10, 2015
Fleet
Nice video, so why not let us enjoy more of it? ;)

Would rather a bit longer and catch a bit more detail around the knots etc. At this length, I enjoyed it...but didn't really learn anything. Appreciate you're probably not after doing a tutorial, but it's why a lot of people watch these videos (either learning, comparing own set ups etc).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nice video, so why not let us enjoy more of it? ;)

Would rather a bit longer and catch a bit more detail around the knots etc. At this length, I enjoyed it...but didn't really learn anything. Appreciate you're probably not after doing a tutorial, but it's why a lot of people watch these videos (either learning, comparing own set ups etc).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Thanks for the comment. Yeah it is short, not all the shots came out to a standard i was happy with and if i am not happy with the shot it doesn't go in.

The video it shelf was shot in a very short time which means a short video.

As you say i am not intending on doing a how to instructional video. In my mind there are far better channels who offee those videos and i have nothing new to say on the subject.

I enjoy the process of filming and editing to tell a story, it's like any hobby over time you skills grow. For this video this was my level of filming and editing.

Cheers Tim.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree

Yes this was my sentiment too - I clicked in expecting to see a 60 second tarp set up, not a tarp set up edited to 60 seconds :lmao: Still very much enjoyed it, and led me to google the falconer's knot, very interesting.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Yes this was my sentiment too - I clicked in expecting to see a 60 second tarp set up, not a tarp set up edited to 60 seconds :lmao: Still very much enjoyed it, and led me to google the falconer's knot, very interesting.
Thanks at the end of the day YouTube is an entertainment platform, and if you enjoyed it then job done.

Great knot to learn, loads of application for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE