Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I don't get this. but then, I have a feeling I'm not using a 58 pattern mug. it's either dutch or american. works though.
plus, If you have other stuff in the bottom of the pouch, they can't rattle round till you take it out.

I've got all my old webbing out again.
next stop, ridicule (via ferny crofts scout campsite) :p

It's good to get your webbing out!:You_Rock_

I still have my Arktis set in the garage, gathering dust.:rolleyes:

The 58 pattern mug is black plastic with metal handles and is designed to fit upside down on top of the 58 water bottle, unlike the metal crusader cup that the 58 water bottle sits inside.
there is also a lesser known metal mug known as the 85 pattern mug(not army issue) it was designed to replace the 58 plastic mug and sits on the waterbottle the same way.
long before BCB made the crusader cup the 85, has a zig-zag around the edge and a removeable plastic lip (so you don't burn your lips).

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's another point, my pack weighs less than a kilo, what weight do all those pouches (empty +belt) add up to ?

cheers,
Toddy

A very good and valid question, so I've just weighed mine, and it comes out at about 1.3kg for the yoke, belt, hip protector pad, canteen pouch and double ammo pouch, both empty. Now, that might seem like a lot, but you've got to take into account the near-miraculous way the weight disappears once you put it on (if it's adjusted right), and the fact that it's all very near your natural centre of gravity. To illustrate the first point, I can think of more than one occasion when I've gone looking for my axe, only to realise it was hanging from my webbing all the time...

And before anybody asks, no, I don't actually need the hip pad for just two pouches - but remember, it also serves as the hip belt of my rucksack, and with my skinny, bony hips, I certainly need it then. ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
And before anybody asks, no, I don't actually need the hip pad for just two pouches - but remember, it also serves as the hip belt of my rucksack, and with my skinny, bony hips, I certainly need it then. ;)

and the reason I don't need a hip belt!:eek:

I used to use a hip belt, but i find i don't really need one now as long as the belt is tight.

My Arktis kit uses an "Arktis belt" which is already padded:D

I seem to remember in army training i just folded a scrim scarf and bungied it on, it worked fine.:)

Just found a photo of DPM PLCE I used in the early 2000's:
DPMPLCEKit1.png

and a set of PLCE chest webbing I used around the same time:
PLCEchestwebbing.png

the thing to notice is a lot of the kit was poor, like the lock knife and wash kit, I'm not sure i ever used, and the tin of beans? I think it was to "represent" rations.
but everything else more or less i use today but in different forms.

whereas now I use pretty much everything

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:lmao:
Oh I should thank John boy, that webbing Q&A session has upped my personal BCUK rating!
I'm now over 2000 posts ("boy I've got a lot to say!")

cheers!:You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Here's some other webbing I've used first British (experimental) 1972 webbing.
72webbing.jpg
(pic borrowed from Combat and Survival magazine).

and another system South African defence force webbing
(I'll try to find a pic)

and often i cut down my webbing to 2 or 3 pouches and this is what I carry in it:
SASescapewebbingjanuary09.png

Last edited:
May 28, 2009
UK
Rappleby, 2 questions- Why do you have yellow and red tape on your water bottle and mug? And what are those two tins in the first two pictures?

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Rappleby,

This is increasingly looking like a belt kit fetish!

You're not going to do a Carradine on us someday? ;)

Seriously though, that SADF kit looks like what I need

I have used one of the copies of the SADF vest, and one of the origoinal versions (albeit a different varient).
If you can find them, go for the origionals, the copies (found in practicaly every coulor and cammo combination under the sun) are nowhere near as well built.
they are good vests, and the ammo pouches fit a sigg type waterbottle quite nicely.
also, I think that the sandy coulor lends it less of a millitary air, making it look more like a sort of macho fishing/safari vest, rather than something rambo might wear.

Dec 16, 2007
I do like the fact that everyone seems to think we want to look like rambo by wearing webbing. Now if they watch the films rambo does not wear any form of webbing bar the quiver for his bow in ANY of the 4 films. Now if I wanted to look like rambo I would run around toplesswith big chest long hair bad plastic surgery and a speach problem.

This is all said in jest. [:)]

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I do like the fact that everyone seems to think we want to look like rambo by wearing webbing. Now if they watch the films rambo does not wear any form of webbing bar the quiver for his bow in ANY of the 4 films. Now if I wanted to look like rambo I would run around toplesswith big chest long hair bad plastic surgery and a speach problem.

This is all said in jest. [:)]

having never actualy seen any of the rambo movies, I will have to take your word for it...

in that case, I shall now refer to us "wanting to look like andy mc nabb".
I believe he did wear webbing.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Rappleby, 2 questions- Why do you have yellow and red tape on your water bottle and mug?

Hi it's showing one of the problems of green and camo kit, acouple of times (in lowlight) I almost lost my green US water bottle in leaves, when making a drink.

The red because it's oposite to red therefore easy to see and yellow because it's a bright colour anyway.

And what are those two tins in the first two pictures?
the two tins? I was trialing my own gear, if you look closely there are 3 tins!
1 has a bit of Orange on it(Lofty wiseman survival tin)
2.a red cross on it, It was a first aid kit.
3. (top right) is a survival ration tin i made up, (I never used it)

I agree the genuine SADF is far better than copies!
the colour is better too!
My only problem with it though, if you put your normal kit in it you'll find loads more space and want to fill it! You could just about fit overnight kit in it the main problem though you can't wear a rucksack with it.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I agree the genuine SADF is far better than copies!
the colour is better too!
My only problem with it though, if you put your normal kit in it you'll find loads more space and want to fill it! You could just about fit overnight kit in it the main problem though you can't wear a rucksack with it.

using the slightly less pouch covered SWATF (south west african defence force) version, a 13 year old boy can carry almost everything he needs for a scoutcamp, except a rollmat and a washkit.
that has 4 less ammo pouches (absent on the front of the main utility pouches, and the chest pouches) and only a butpack, rather than the full back pouch on the SADF version.
they are absoultely cavanous.

and now I'm thinking "where can I get one". fortuenately I don't have the cash anyway, because I don't think I can fit any more gear in my gear crate at the moment.
ahhh well, maybe one day.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...fueled from reading this thread, I decided to have a go at one myself.
Was in Singapore recently and got this off from a flea market.
It's their SAF issue.
I did some modifications to it already. Originally, it comes with a 'feed through' waist but I decided to add some buckles for quick release (second pic).
It came with a water bottle but its still soaked for washing.

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

So far, I like the feeling putting it on but there are simply too many small pouches and its a bit difficult to pack stuff into them. Wish all the pouches consists of just a big one, like the one in the middle.

Will take a bit of time figuring this out (how to pack stuff in it)
TIPS?

Cheers,

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
So how many of you guys are ex squaddies?

Hmmm... I think it would be safe to say just about all the anti-webbing members here... I wore it professionally for 10 years and to be honest its not a "bad" idea in concept but I still couldnt put anything in the basic pouches that wasnt intended to be sent down range... I tried a fishing vest as a load carrier for a while and it worked great, but still "felt" wrong to me, so I just use a day pack or satchel and leave the webbing & vest in my old foot locker.

That said, each to their own, if it feels good do it...

Karl

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi everyone...fueled from reading this thread, I decided to have a go at one myself.
Was in Singapore recently and got this off from a flea market.
It's their SAF issue.
I did some modifications to it already. Originally, it comes with a 'feed through' waist but I decided to add some buckles for quick release (second pic).
It came with a water bottle but its still soaked for washing.

IMG_2350.jpg

Will take a bit of time figuring this out (how to pack stuff in it)
TIPS?
Cheers,

well done bandel mate!:You_Rock_
That looks ever so much like Israeli army webbing, which is very expensive! and difficult to get hold of in the UK, I have tried some on myself and it is comfy and certainly well made! I found there was a lot of velcro which I'm not used to, but it does the job well, I imagine you could wear this high on the chest or low as a belt kit.

PS, I love the Toggle rope! i haven't seen one of those for ages!

Templar,
as always, respect is due to the lads that have fought for the country!
I
I wore it professionally for 10 years and to be honest its not a "bad" idea in concept but I still couldn't put anything in the basic pouches that wasn't intended to be sent down range
I know what you mean, My kit (apart from the front pouches) is more or less the same as when i was in training, to me it always feels a bit wrong putting anything in the ammo pouches, you'll understand that!

Whilst in my TA training we had 58 webbing and one day a Cpl had a quick kit check and one guy had one of the huge issue torches in his ammo pouch.....the cpl saw that it went skyward then in to a bush!
from previous recruits I'd heard stories of a guy that put Pepsi in his waterbottle, you get all sorts!

I tried a fishing vest as a load carrier for a while and it worked great, but still "felt" wrong to me, so I just use a day pack or satchel and leave the webbing & vest in my old foot locker.
Me too, not a fishing vest, but a Police swat vest, same idea though.
and i too also put all the web gear away for a season, but felt a bit lost without it, I guess the difference for me is I used Webbing before I was in the TA, so it felt more normal after. but i never used my Issue webbing for leisure activities.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:cool:mmmmmmm!:D

went out for a walk in my web gear today, I could have done with a beer!
soooo much cooler than a rucksack on the back;)

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Whilst its not terribly bushcrafty I use my old dpm waterbottle pouch to carry my watercolour field kit.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
that's fine,

I used a similar one on a recently to hold a couple of hundred "U" shaped wire nails, pliers and a roll of wire. very useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE