Bushcraft phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
spoon3006.jpg

Got this JCB, you can hammer tent pegs in with this thing.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I was thinking of buying a tough case for my iPhone then I realised that for cheaper than that I can get a Nokia 5210 off ebay. The 5210 might not be as hard as the Sonim ones (Land Rover, JCB) but they are much, much cheaper :)

L

LordRose

Best phone for this sort of thing Id say would be the samsung 'solid'. All it does is phone and text. It has a camera but its terrible, and the only other feature is a calculator. It wont win any awards for style but its dust proof, water proof and shock proof. I used to text in the bath with it so it can't be that bad lol.

http://www.techshout.com/images/samsung-solid-phone.jpg

There pretty old now so you should be able to pick one up on ebay for bout 20 or 30 quid.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Hah, my Samsung GT E1107 Solar Crest goes one step beyond 'bushcraft' - it has SURVIVAL functionality!
- It has a solar cell that will recharge the battery
- It can send a distress text message to four pre-programmed destinations simultaneously

I feel so safe when I'm out and about!

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi All
I purchased the Samsung B2100 earlier this week from prepaymania, OMG, I rang them and ordered on the phone to avoid any problems, well the guy I spoke to charged me the wrong price to start with, then appologised and said he had cancelled that order and started again, this time the price was correct and I paid for it on my debit card.
2 days later I was overdrawn and getting bank charges, I asked why and was told that the charge for the phone had been done twice and that took me overdrawn, I rang prepaymania 3 times and eventualy spoke to a manager who told me the bank should not charge me £5-00 a day for going over drawn and it was not his companys fault and he would not re-imburse any charges at all despite the fact that it was the 1st guy's fault for not cancelling it properly.
So be warned guy's if you have a problem with these people their after sales service sucks.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've got one of these but I can't recommend it. Mine has glitches but even without them, as a phone, it sucks. Texting is ok but try finding the ' key. Apparently there's a million other symbols that are more necessary than a basic apostrophe. I can't get the phonebook to arrange things properly either. The camera is poor enough to be pointless too.

I think my phone is an exception but the battery decides it's empty during phone calls and it'll refuse to make calls with full reception or it'll block calls for no apparent reason. I don't use it much so it's not annoying enough for me to change it though.

However the torch feature is great and it's already survived me dropping it a few times and leaving it out in the garden in the rain. I'm on my second cheapo screen protector and thats the only thing with a mark on it.

and it doesn't have snake...

iamjam

Jan 7, 2010
Manchester
I was thinking of buying a tough case for my iPhone then I realised that for cheaper than that I can get a Nokia 5210 off ebay. The 5210 might not be as hard as the Sonim ones (Land Rover, JCB) but they are much, much cheaper :)

I'd second the Nokia 5210, as well as being a tough little phone it also has a thermometer built in. :)

drago

Feb 25, 2010
Blackpool / liberia
i must admit that the landrover s1 phone i have is a1 for bushcraft ( i know i am a little biased and not trying to justfiy paying the 250 notes to get it sim free), but i generally put my phones through the paces at work (middle of the west african jungle), and so far it has faired me very very well (has lasted 3 times as long as normal phones... and yes i will take sonim up on there 3 year warrenty if it does break)

i dont have to charge it up for 2 weeks at a time, and when i do an hour with my pocket solar charger gives me another week or 2..... the led torch is fantastic and having the gps on it is a life saver (litterally...... trying to remember where you parked the truck in the jungle at night can be amusing..... i find it isnt.)

the fact that it ip67 rated has also proved really well .......so far got the phone very very wet in a river crossing and the down pours here, have has it ran over by a 40 tonne truck, it has survived the 40 deg C whether and 95% humidity, is generally abused..... all this and it doesnt skip a beat

so personally if this phone can last over a year in the conditions i put it through it will be a walk in the park for the UK!!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i must admit that the landrover s1 phone i have is a1 for bushcraft ( i know i am a little biased and not trying to justfiy paying the 250 notes to get it sim free), but i generally put my phones through the paces at work (middle of the west african jungle), and so far it has faired me very very well (has lasted 3 times as long as normal phones... and yes i will take sonim up on there 3 year warrenty if it does break)

i dont have to charge it up for 2 weeks at a time, and when i do an hour with my pocket solar charger gives me another week or 2..... the led torch is fantastic and having the gps on it is a life saver (litterally...... trying to remember where you parked the truck in the jungle at night can be amusing..... i find it isnt.)

the fact that it ip67 rated has also proved really well .......so far got the phone very very wet in a river crossing and the down pours here, have has it ran over by a 40 tonne truck, it has survived the 40 deg C whether and 95% humidity, is generally abused..... all this and it doesnt skip a beat

so personally if this phone can last over a year in the conditions i put it through it will be a walk in the park for the UK!!!

Good post but how do you keep messing with your phone, wet, soaked, truck driving over it, seems to me you have more than your share of bad luck?

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
I have the Samsung B2100. Not because I want it for bushcraft, but because I want a phone that I can throw into my bicycle panniers, keep in a sweaty cycling jersey pocket, take a call without having to wash and dry my hands when I'm at the allotment, and generally don't have to treat like it was the Mona Lisa. Prior to that I had Nokia's outdoorsy phone - can't remember the serial number but it had thermometer, compass, camera etc. all of which were rubbish, but at least it was relatively robust. That handset lasted me 4 years, before it became impossible to find new cases for it. I like having robust kit that can be neglected and still be reliable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE