bushcraft in the New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
im interested also, although currently looking into it has drawn a blank. you cant even park your car overnight in the car parks. so i gather they might be quite hostile to the idea, unfortunately.

It's not exactly bushcraft, but there are a few work groups and schemes for getting your hands dirty if you wish, the two trees conservation team comes to mind, you can email the forestry commission for more info.

O

oilyrag

The only people legally entitled to wildcamp in the NF are those on the DoE award, they have a special agreement with the Forestry Commision. Setthorns campsite is open all year round, has no shower/toilet facility and is as basic as it gets. Don't allow open fires, do allow BBQ's so set a fire in a BBQ.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't get too set on lumping wild camping and "bushcraft". I know that camping is fun, but there is a lot more to bush skills than that and there is a lot that you can do without pitching up for the night. In fact, I reckon that it is easier to learn some things if your mind is not wandering on to pressing issues of comfort, like, "where will I sleep, what will I eat, how will I cook it?"

There have been discussions on people camping in the New Forest, but without permission its not legal and passed threads where folk have advocated just doing it have often wound up locked/removed.

Sorry not to be more help.

JohnH

Dec 12, 2008
Portsmouth
Having grown up so close to the New Forest and experienced wild-fires on an all too regular basis, I am pleased that wild camping is forbidden there. I am not happy with the lack of permission in other areas but the New Forest needs to be cared for more than many other areas. This does not stop you taking a stroll and practicing many other bushcraft or survival skills though. I did my 'temperate' qualification course there and found it to be most 'bountiful'.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Don't get too set on lumping wild camping and "bushcraft". I know that camping is fun, but there is a lot more to bush skills than that and there is a lot that you can do without pitching up for the night. In fact, I reckon that it is easier to learn some things if your mind is not wandering on to pressing issues of comfort, like, "where will I sleep, what will I eat, how will I cook it?"

Here here! Now the weather has turned horrid I am doing less 'sleeping out', and because of that I find I am practising more 'bushcraft skills' than I ever do when thinking about where to rig a tarp. Going for a walk, trying to ID trees, tracks, doing some whittling or carving, repairing or modifying kit, practising bad weather skills etc. All of these can be done. And I am getting so much out of it - learnt a great deal.

There have been discussions on people camping in the New Forest, but without permission its not legal and passed threads where folk have advocated just doing it have often wound up locked/removed.

Not so here here! I am a GREAT advocate of wild camping and do it all the time. Personally, I think the New Forest is a VERY big place and I wonder how possible it would be for a considerate camper to enjoy it...(not endorsing, blah blah blah...)

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
I'm moving to the outskirts of the new forest in January for 9 months and am definately going miss the opportunity to wild camp, however it will be good to spend time honing other bushcraft skills.
Does anyone know what the law is regarding horse riders and the forest, just out of interest? sorry if it's a wee bit off topic,

wild

you can horse ride on the forest ther are several riding schools etc you can hire from etc

I grew up on/in the forest and live nr ringwood currently

but surprisingly in the last few years spend little time on it :( just never seem to be the time in the year to do stuff and i stopped work 2yrs ago :confused:

ATB

Duncan

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
New Forest! NEW FOREST!

I was caught for speeding on Bashley Common Road on the 1st July in a police radar trap!

Hampshire Police want slow drivers? I'll give them slow driving! At the peak of the holiday season I'm going to drive around the Forest roads - particularly on the A35 - at 10MPH. I'll have the traffic queues backed up to the M3!!

Jim

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
New Forest! NEW FOREST!

I was caught for speeding on Bashley Common Road on the 1st July in a police radar trap!

Hampshire Police want slow drivers? I'll give them slow driving! At the peak of the holiday season I'm going to drive around the Forest roads - particularly on the A35 - at 10MPH. I'll have the traffic queues backed up to the M3!!

Jim

Your gonna be driving 6 mph faster than anyone else through Lyndhurst then.:drive:

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
If anyone is interesed in carrying out conservation work in the forest, the Epping Forest Conservation Volunteers (http://efcv.uel.ac.uk/) meet 3 Sundays a month to carry out work in the forest.

Types of work include tree felling/ hedge laying/ pond clearance etc.

Anyone interested in coming along will be made most welcome.

Cheers

Stewart

If anyone is interesed in carrying out conservation work in the forest, the Epping Forest Conservation Volunteers (http://efcv.uel.ac.uk/) meet 3 Sundays a month to carry out work in the forest.

Types of work include tree felling/ hedge laying/ pond clearance etc.

Anyone interested in coming along will be made most welcome.

Cheers

Stewart

I think you will fine the The Forest is The NEW Forest and a little further south :rolleyes: :D

more Hampshire than Eppin

ATB

Duncan

Hi All
following the threads about bushcraft in the new forest just to say that we operate a full time bushcraft school in the new forest so would love to see anyone interested in courses www.sunrisebushcraft.com hope to see you soon cheers James

Their Main Site is bout a Mile from me so i hope to pop over and see whats going on :D ( the missus is going to Go BAT sshhh :censored: :D :D )

ATB

Duncan

R

richgg

HI everyone, just came across this thread, my names Rich and I run New Forest Bushcraft www.newforestbushcraft.com I think Duncan kindly mentioned my school, just got lots of new courses put up on the site if anyone is interested.
Also Besides the courses If any one would just like a chat about the area or Bushcraft in General It would be nice to here from any of you.
Rich.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
The new forest is just too small and too full of people. The car parks are usually crammed full of cars and people having picnics in the carpark, and there is always bags of litter around the place. Not to mention that people try to make shelters all over the place but never take them down - when I used to walk there I could count at least 20 half built or broken down ones in the first couple of miles...

Bit depressing really...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
New Forest! NEW FOREST!

Jim

I'm very anti-speed camera's, but in the new forest I have seen enough dead or dying ponies to be more careful about my speed.

Worst thing I saw was a young group of girls who had hit a pony in their car, and were too scared to call the police so left the poor animal dying at the side of the road whilst watching it for over 2 hours. At least when I called the plod they turned up quick with a vet who put and end to it's suffering.

The new forest is just too small and too full of people. The car parks are usually crammed full of cars and people having picnics in the carpark, and there is always bags of litter around the place. Not to mention that people try to make shelters all over the place but never take them down - when I used to walk there I could count at least 20 half built or broken down ones in the first couple of miles...

Bit depressing really...

yep i heard a few years ago that it averages 8million visitors a year :eek:

most seem to want to drive thru Lyndhurst on a bank holiday :rolleyes:

but as a local there are plenty of areas that dont get any ;)

still see the ruins of a couple of my shelters i built in the summer hols....
over 30yrs ago :eek:

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE