Bushcraft Christmas Dinner Anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
What are you guys and gals having for Christmas Dinner? I know what I'll be stuck with - a bland frozen turkey which is basically a middle of the road option to keep most of our guests happy. Still, the trimmings will be nice.

I'd love to have something more traditional like goose or duck for instance with a bushcraft slant. If it's wild and cooked in the outdoors even better.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not wild or outside, I'm afraid, but we will be having duck. There's just the three of us - our son will be 3 months old - his first Christmas. :D

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
We have a ham from the oven. As my wife is from Finland we are celebrating for years a traditional finish christmas dish. I dont drink much alcolhol but enjoy a couple of red wine bottles over the Christmas season. :D

Here is an example picture how the finish "kinkku" looks like:
kinkku.jpg

cheers
Abbe

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I was thinking about this too last night... must be something about only a month till Christmas :eek:

Do any of your Essex bushcrafters know a good source of pheasant? Preferably oven ready (the in-laws won't appreciate a fresh bird being prepped in front of them!) that can be delivered or collected just before Christmas Eve, anywhere in Essex / north M25?

A few years ago, we had some really lovely venison flown down from Islay for Christmas dinner - absolutely delicious in a red wine and cranberry sauce. Not sure of the company exactly but these people ( http://www.caleyco.com/home ) do a very similar deal.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
We only tend to eat meat 5 or 6 times a year when we come by a bunny or pheasant or similar. But for Christmas we make a point of having a nice bit of venison. And as an apperative to Chrismas lunch it is just the time to crack open the first bottle of last years (2004) sloe vodka!

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
This Xmas we will be mainly eating......
Chinese crispy duck with Hoi Sin sauce, plum sauce, pancakes, spring onion and cucumber followed by trifle.
As for drink, Bucks Fizz and a fresh cask of Houston ale.
As for Bushcraft stuff? I am officially lazy in December.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
me and gemma are hoping to get out into the woods somewhere locally for christmas and i've been wondering about food, this would seem like an ideal place to ask for suggestions. so what would you all recommend for a bushcraft christmas dinner? i won't be able to dig any holes for pit cooking but other than that i don't think i'm really limited to anything. i've never cooked any kind of poultry on an open fire so this could be the ideal opportunity to give it a try.

cheers

stuart

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Tomtom I’m contemplating a multi bird roast this Christmas, Huge Fernly whats his chops did a ten bird version recently but I might just and up getting a free range traditional turkey if the other half says no to a quail in a pheasant in a chicken in a duck in goose in a turkey how much do I want to cook that :D

James

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Ok, it's clear I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I won't be doing anything special at all.

It'll be like most weekends - probably take a bit of humous, some rice cakes, and a bit of dried fruit out along the coast, or into the woods somewhere, maybe a billy or a flask if I know I can't light a fire, have a bit of a walk, then just sit, look at the view and enjoy that magical cup of tea watching it go dark.

Bliss ...

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
monkey_pork said:
Ok, it's clear I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I won't be doing anything special at all.

It'll be like most weekends - probably take a bit of humous, some rice cakes, and a bit of dried fruit out along the coast, or into the woods somewhere, maybe a billy or a flask if I know I can't light a fire, have a bit of a walk, then just sit, look at the view and enjoy that magical cup of tea watching it go dark.

Bliss ...
I don't see why you think your post is out on a limb.
One of the sad things about Christmas is all of the hype, consumerism, added on turkey - eating and partying.
I admire you for going for a simplistic approach at a special time of the year. :You_Rock_

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Danceswithhelicopters said:
This Xmas we will be mainly eating......
Chinese crispy duck with Hoi Sin sauce, plum sauce, pancakes, spring onion and cucumber followed by trifle.
We did exactly that last year and it was different, yet brilliant. :You_Rock_

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
im going to eat some of this years lamb that i reared... probably the biggest one, his name is red 5.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
All our Christmas meats are free range
venison that I've shot, honey glazed ham from a mates small holding, beef from the same place and we'llhave duck or goose if I can get down to the foreshore.
plenty of exercise after the hols towork it all off and a new years resolution (again ) not to make such a pig of myself :D

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Most (notice I say most, not all ) turkeys are only fit for fox food in my reckoning, so Xmas dinner will be wild venison and a leg of lamb from a local butcher who gets his meat from a farm 5 mins up the road.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE