bushcraft activities for an invalid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
having recently come a cropper and ended up in plaster, i was wondering if you chaps had any ideas for bushcrafty activities which can be done, sat on my bum with my leg in the air? spoon making i already do but anything else?
thanks jamie.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Plaster carving.:).......& start whitling a long thin scractcher for when your leg starts to itch........if it's a six week job, then watching all the bushcraft vids on youtube, to keep the flame burning & help you make plans for when the legs 'mended'........you can also spend more time on here,.:D

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
LOL. I was being serious. Don't you have handicap accessible spots there? All the public fishing piers here do. Both saltwater piers and the short piers at the public freshwater lakes.

sorry mate it was the handicap bit that made me chuckle (not pc but childish and funny nonetheless)
the closest pier (blyth,northumberland:theyareon) isn't far but the lads that inhabit it would probably launch my crutches into the north sea :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
sorry mate it was the handicap bit that made me chuckle (not pc but childish and funny nonetheless)
the closest pier (blyth,northumberland:theyareon) isn't far but the lads that inhabit it would probably launch my crutches into the north sea :lmao:

Ah well. It was a thought.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
i went camping with a broken wrist last time out i think as long as you can get to the site and you go with some good friends you should be able to do most things my main problem was only having the one hand that was use usable i struggled with carrying and cutting things up bit i could still make tea lol i even had to have my food cut up for me :( lol
good m8s dude thats all you will need for a camp
good luck have fun and heal fast :)

Guilty

Aug 4, 2008
Croydon
Stuff a spare pair of boots with newspaper and duck (duct) tape them to the bottom of your crutches and get out there anyway!!:cool:

Mark

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Stuff a spare pair of boots with newspaper and duck (duct) tape them to the bottom of your crutches and get out there anyway!!:cool:

Mark

strangely enough....that exact same thing happened, the last time i broke my leg :lmao:
for the first 2 weeks after surgery i have been told to keep my mangled appendage elevated above the hip, due to potential oozing and whatnot :p
so i got another week of doing as close to absolute zero, although i am starting to chew my way through some heavy duty bjorn kurten books.
thanks chaps

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
i went camping with a broken wrist last time out i think as long as you can get to the site and you go with some good friends you should be able to do most things my main problem was only having the one hand that was use usable i struggled with carrying and cutting things up bit i could still make tea lol i even had to have my food cut up for me :( lol
good m8s dude thats all you will need for a camp
good luck have fun and heal fast :)

A broken wrist might be do-able but a leg in plaster is a different "kettle of fish"......you would have to have some very good mates when it came to helping you answer the call of nature,:eek:.....& that might also be stretching friendship a little too far should you have to go at 3 in the morning :D

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
strangely enough....that exact same thing happened, the last time i broke my leg :lmao:
for the first 2 weeks after surgery i have been told to keep my mangled appendage elevated above the hip, due to potential oozing and whatnot :p
so i got another week of doing as close to absolute zero, although i am starting to chew my way through some heavy duty bjorn kurten books.
thanks chaps

Well there you go. Use your down time reading, repairing gear, etc. Just try to do as much of it outdoors (if only just in the back yard) as you can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE