BushBuddy and Whitebox stove a flexible combination?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
First of all, this is more a flexibility and fuel efficiency test rather than a “boil speed” test. Mainly because I’m not convinced that boil speed is the best test of a stove, especially as, when I’m out and about, I enjoy the whole ritual of collecting the firewood, getting the BushBuddy going, then waiting patiently for the tea while I enjoy my surroundings. I am about to do a few days on the Pennine Way and I wanted to see if this combination of stoves would fit the bill as you often can’t find much in the way of firewood for the BushBuddy on the moors.

What got me thinking was buying one of these:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/low-hassle-lightweight-food/6141.html

The idea is that you boil 450ml of water, add it to the bag and wait 5 minutes (up-market pot noodle?) I decided to see how efficiently I could boil 450ml using each stove, in the wilds of my backyard. Just so you know, the BushBuddy is the original(?) Canadian type and the Whitebox is the Duo version.

The set up:
bbwb1.jpg

The fuel for the BushBuddy:
bbwb2.jpg

The fire going:
bbwb3.jpg

bbwb4.jpg

Rolling boil after about 9 and a half minutes (OK, I did time it!:)):
bbwb5.jpg

Left over fuel:
bbwb6.jpg

I reckon there is easily enough left over to boil up some more water for pasta or couscous and a brew while the water does its stuff in the pouch.

Then it was on to the Whitebox. I filled it with meths up to its maximum:
bbwb7.jpg

Once lit, you have to wait for the the gas that escapes from the holes in the side to ignite and form a corona. (Difficult to see as all those who've burned themselves on a Trangia will know!)
bbwb8.jpg

The pot sits directly on the stove so you have to be careful not to put it on before the gas has ignited as you will put the stove out.
bbwb9.jpg

Rolling boil after 10 minutes:
bbwb10.jpg

Again, easily enough fuel left to boil water for couscous (maybe not pasta).
bbwb11.jpg

The problem with the Whitebox is the same as with all meths stoves - estimating how much you will use as it is difficult to put the stove out and reuse the left over meths.

The Whitebox fits neatly inside the BushBuddy, which fits neatly inside the pot:
bbwb12.jpg

All in all, I'm encouraged by this little test. It does mean that I have to carry a meths container but a small one should go a long way if it is only used to supplement the work of the BushBuddy. As for the dried food? - I didn't use it - saving it for the Pennine Way!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm currently using the same system although my Whitebox is a DIY version.

I used to carry the Honey stove and a Tatonka burner but the Bushcooker if far more efficient and the Tatonka was just too heavy. I'm just playing around with DIY pot cozies at the moment too but not had chance to test them as my food is dehydrated for the time being.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
WBS is not that efficient a meths stove. Especially if you use it without a windshield. Seriously why use it without the foil shield it came with? You are not comparing each stove in their most efficient setup. The bushbuddy is efficient as is but the WBS comes with the base and shield for efficient use. You would easily get more meths left over with a shield for extra water.

Also if the dehydrated food pouch as room and it is the meal that goes with it why not add the cous cous to it and cook both at the same time in the same pouch?

With dehydrated food it is better to use a pouch cosy. Easier to put together. A nice job can be made with that Al foil tape you get for insulation jobs. Can get the cosy stuff from BPL-UK or DIY/builders merchants I think.

Nice test but (I hate being critical or negative as it is not me really) why leave out the shield in the test. Unless you took it away for the photos then I withdraw comment. Shield around the stove with 0.5" to 0.75" gap around the pot allows air in for efficient burning, prevents wind taking heat away from the pot and also keeps the heat around the pot (assuming it goes a little up the sides of the pot too).

IMHO every type of cooking stove has its own tricks to get the most out of the fuel. Its just a case of finding them out. Little things like can top stoves are more efficient if not turned on full but on a lower setting. Putting a windshield around meths stoves going up to the pot. Even the loading method for wood gas stoves have been tweaked by their afficionados. Something about the shape of the fire allowing a particular airflow or burn pattern. Not too clear on that as I don't have one.

IIRC the bushcooker one is made by Qvist and no longer sold by BPL-UK. The bushbuddy one is a lot more expensive than the qvist one.

Anyone tried the Vargo hex burner with the wider base than the top? The sales blurb says it concentrates the heat but I do wonder if it does much really as a single wall woodburner that is.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What is you total weight of the cooking system? Even with using mostly wood with only meths I suspect you still have to carry the meths just in case. I like fires and woodburners but personally I think one stove system is best not a dual stove system. I use a UL gas stove myself and get nearly a week out of one of those small cans. You should be able to pick them up easily en route too. Sorry but I'm a gramme weannie.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice test but (I hate being critical or negative as it is not me really) why leave out the shield in the test. Unless you took it away for the photos then I withdraw comment. Shield around the stove with 0.5" to 0.75" gap around the pot allows air in for efficient burning, prevents wind taking heat away from the pot and also keeps the heat around the pot (assuming it goes a little up the sides of the pot too).

When I use the Whitebox with the BushBuddy I sit it inside the BushBuddy and put the pot on top. The BushBuddy then serves as a windshield. I should have made this clear in the test. I didn't do it this time round as my garden steps (and the lack of wind) made it very sheltered.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
What is you total weight of the cooking system? Even with using mostly wood with only meths I suspect you still have to carry the meths just in case. I like fires and woodburners but personally I think one stove system is best not a dual stove system. I use a UL gas stove myself and get nearly a week out of one of those small cans. You should be able to pick them up easily en route too. Sorry but I'm a gramme weannie.

Pot, lid and both stoves weigh 400 grammes. Of course, the Meths weighs more but, while I want to save weight as well, I am not a fan of gas stoves due to the disposal issues that they have. The point here is the one about flexibility - carrying the BushBuddy means I don't have to carry much fuel but I have often camped in places where there is simply no wood available (I like to camp high and wild when I can). Of course, I could always carry my firewood all day...

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i have almost the same set up with my bushbuddy i use a trangia burner as it fits inside so no waisted fule i use a Primus LiTech 1L pot and everything fits inside the pot nice and neatly.
hope this helps with idears for setups.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, putting the stove inside the BB makes a superb combination, and you can use the shield or not depending on the size of pot. It improves the Whiteboxes efficiency enormously....

24Oct201088.jpg

24Oct201093.jpg

24Oct2010101.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice review , one question , does the bushbuddy burn alot of wood ?

No. Look at the "before and after" pics and you will get an idea of how much it burned. This wood, however, was particularly dry (It had been lying around the garden for years!) I find it easy to keep it going to make a brew or cook a meal by picking dead twigs from hedgerows or the forest floor. I start with thin stuff and work up to pencil thickness or a little more. Then I just sit there snapping them into BushBuddy size while the fire burns. You do need to keep feeding it - it's not something you can get going then go off and do something else for very long as it burns the twigs quite quickly. It is by far my favourite stove and I've had LOADS (don't tell SWMBO!:)) partly becais - as I mentioned - the whole ritual of making a brew on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE