Bush doctor training thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Well I'm off to live in South India, I thought it would be a good idea to start a bush doctor thread with ailments and treatments.

I will be studying in a tropical/temperate climate and mostly on the backwaters, forest and jungles. Many miles from a doctor, hospital and even the ambulances are just like the back of old vans. So if you could come up with a practise ailment then I can find a treatment to help one survive as a practise for me.

Anything from sunburn to Tiger attack, it's all good training.

Use your imagination, just to let you know I am not a professional medical personell, just a boat captain, so bear with me.

Your welcome to add your advice, in fact that's what I'm looking for, to help me learn.
Not just natural cures also, anything that is available to become a good bushcraft medic.

So I await my first practise patient. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a really good book, that's well worth getting hold of and reading.
It's called, "Where there is no Doctor", and there's a companion one, "Where there is no Dentist".

I'll find links, but I have the no Doctor one and it explains things in layman's terms and gives clear advise on how best to deal with things.

Toddy

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thank you Toddy, that is just what I am looking for. I was searching for a good book.

It will make good reading on the plane, I think my cheap Air India ticket doesn't include a film T.V screen on the back of the seat. I'm gonna have to rough it with the rest of the passengers for 13 hours. Lol

I know basics but there is so much for me to learn. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks mate.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
OK I'll start, pretend patient 1

I was bitten by a mozzie on the back of my hand several days ago. I have ignored it and maybe even scratched it. It's turned into an ulcer maybe half an inch in diameter.
DOCTOR HELP!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Can I a bit more about your trip please?

Is it an organised thing or are you just heading out to go travelling and want to be able to help people while you are there?

Do you have insurance to treat others rather than just yourself?

I've travelled India fairly extensively so if you wanted to ask any specifics about the country I'd be happy to answer any questions IF I happen to know (it's a very big country so I can't know everything! Lol)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Ok Patient 1, thank you.

This could be serious if not treated correctly.

Firstly I would inspect the wound to see what stage it was at A-G by using this guide.
(
Fig. 31-1 TROPICAL ULCERS. A, the earliest stage of a tropical ulcer is a pustule, containing Vincent's organisms and fusiform bacilli. Alternatively, and some would say more commonly, the early stage is a small cut. B, the pustule ruptures to form an acute ulcer. C, a chronic ulcer showing the exposed tendons. D, the characteristic site of tropical ulcers anteriorly on the lower leg, becoming more lateral lower down. E, an acute tropical ulcer, with an everted oedematous edge, and a dirty slough covering much of its base. F, a chronic ulcer, with an edge which is not raised, and a uniform avascular base. G, a squamous cell carcinoma, with an everted edge, and an irregular base. MOST GRAFTING SHOULD BE DONE AT THE ACUTE OR SUBACUTE STAGE. )

It seems like we have a biotic infection in the hand so we must clean the wound/ulcer, I would firstly use a 5% Potassium permanganate and hot water solution to clean the wound. Leave to soak in the solution without agitating it and causing a bleed. Then we will clean with saline or permanganate solution using a squeezy bottle to flush the wound.

Then we will have a look for dead skin around the purple edges wound and into the grey base of the ulcer wound. It should be surgically removed by a professional, although maggots have been used by soldiers in Japanese prisoner of war camps in the second world war. But let's leave that for now, our current job is to clean the ulcer, by application of non-adheshive swabs of a disinfectant of Potasium permagernate solution, 3% hydrogen peroxide or salted saline solution.

We then dress with a healant gel or powder, (I have been recommended johnston & johnston first aid healing gel, but failing that we could add natural raw honey ( not pasturised store bought honey. ) to treat and cover the wound, the natural hydrogen peroxide should do a nice job of cleaning and protecting the wound. ) and sterile gauze and bandage, every day we will soak the dressing with a saline solution ( salt and water. ) to ease the removal of the dressing and redress with clean sterile non adhesive gauze, healing gel and bandage every day. You can be given a saline solution to apply to the dressing to keep the wound moist every 2-3 hours.

We will continue this for seven days and you should take a Tetracycline or Metronidazole antibiotic or penacilin to aid anti-infection.

We will check on this daily as you may have to travel to an area where they can perform a skin graft upon the wound.

In the time it takes to be seen by a profession health centre/hospital this would be the way I would treat the wound.

Wow, my first patient. I now realise that it's kinda pressured hard work but important procedures involved. I still feel like a first aider with added responsibility, the pressure, but this is my first day. :)

My great grandfather and grandfather were both Doctors, I hope this healing thing is in the blood. I spent many years working on building sites before getting my boat master licence.

Some of the information was taken from this link. http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/dtc/primsurg/docbook/html/x11011.html

Doctoring seems harder than being a skipper.

Thank you Patient 1, that was a good learning practise.

Ok, how did I do? Please be critical. :)

If I done ok, then next patient please.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Can I a bit more about your trip please?

Is it an organised thing or are you just heading out to go travelling and want to be able to help people while you are there?

Do you have insurance to treat others rather than just yourself?

I've travelled India fairly extensively so if you wanted to ask any specifics about the country I'd be happy to answer any questions IF I happen to know (it's a very big country so I can't know everything! Lol)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Cheers Bam, I am traveling out to Kerala to live and set up an outdoor expedition and boat building business with some Indian friends. It's always good to have a medic on the team, so just in case we can't get one I am training myself to help in an emergency.

We want to set up an NGO that can help in a maritme or natural emergency so having some training would be very useful. Insurance cover will be looked into, but I do know first aid is sueable although very rare.

I'm only really staying in Kerala, that's good enough for me. Maybe I will travel to Tamil Nadu to have a new tricycle built for me with electric motor by Okay Nizam Cycles, they look very good.

I was there in 2012 for several months doing a reccy and making good contacts and friends.
Now I want to get married out there and live permanently and say good bye to grotty old London.

National Geographic have voted it the top ten paradises on the planet. So like I said, that's good enough for me. :)

Any advice Bam, your welcome to private message me.

Thanks.

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
Doctor Doctor...help! I got lucky with a South African girl the other day, she is on a gap year and we met on the beach, it was lovely. Except now I appear to have some itching in my nether regions. I had a bit of a look and there seems to be something moving down there. What on earth should I do?

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Ok Mr Bindle, please sit down.

I think you may have caught a sexualy transmited disease ( S.T.D ) with possible pubic lice being the things moving down there. Don't be afraid, it is treatable very simply enough.

Firstly we have to get rid of the pubic lice, we will have to get some Malathione or other lice lotion, or failing that as we are in the bush ( no pun intended ) use some vinegar instead.

Once inspected and recognised as pubic lice I would like for the big butch nurse over there to trim or shave your pubic hair off and then you can apply the lotion ( or vinegar ) to the genital area and brush through with a fine toothed comb ( or scrub with a lotion/vinegar soaked towel. ) It could take several weeks to get rid of the lice and eggs as there incubation period is usually two weeks.

I would like to examine your eyes for infection as the lice can be transported to the eye area from the hands. In the meantime carry on applying the lotion twice everyday and do not touch your eyes or lashes untill scrubbing your hands very well.

I am however conserned about any other infections and S.T.D's you may have picked up from the romantic encounter so a swab specimen sample may have to be taken With your permission and sent to a laboratory for testing.
Have you experienced any other unusual symptoms like weepage, sores or anything unusual? Until the results come back, live like a monk, or you can masterbate, but do not have sexual encounters with any other ladies until we are sure you are in the clear health wise.

May I ask if you used protection as a condom? It's very important to nowadays as it can help stop fatal diseases, although it certainly wouldn't of stopped the lice.

Be patient and we will get you back to normal, now go and see Gertrude the big nurse for the dehairing and sample swabs to be taken. But please no sex until the test results are given to you and please remember the importance of protected sex.

We will send for a driver to take your samples to the laboratory to testing, although some things may not show up for six months.

It might be an idea to steam your bed sheets and clothes also. I hope that will help.

Thanks for the practise. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE