Bunny Skin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mate gave me a rabbit skin which he wants me to have a go at drying cleaning etc.Its sat in a zip lock bag at the mo as I am not sure what to do with it?
My mate and I used to when we were kids try to dry out and make stuff out of rabbit skins but never got anything but rock 'ard pencil cases!!!!(used to scare the girls though!!!)
Have found tanning on the site but nowt about pinning them or scraping?
As always many thanks in advance Dave

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I've tanned rabbit skins successfully. Mix about 7 pints warm water, 1kg salt and a cupful of battery acid. Leave skin in liquid for about a month, remove and gently scrape and pick off all the fat. Rinse and leave to dry. Before it gets fully dry try working it over a worktop edge so it stays nice and flexible. I've not tried it but heard that applying neats foot oil to the skin also helps.
I made a rabbit fur hat with mine. Good luck.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for that I have read your post about battery acid but didn't really fancy using something so nasty? I take it there is an alternative?
Thanks D

LocalYokel

Feb 16, 2007
Brizzel.... Argghhh
Alum powder from any chemist. Mix a small quantity two tablespoons to a litre of water... actually sod that... just put a small pack into a bucket of tepit water(you can't really over-do-it... just in the interests of economy ;) )and plonk in the skin (minus as much flesh & silverskin as you can manage) and leave it there for up to a week. Then pin it out and dry it as usual and give it a good scrub on something to supple it up.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tommy the cat said:
Ta for that I have read your post about battery acid but didn't really fancy using something so nasty? I take it there is an alternative?
Thanks D

We used to use alum or a chrome tan kit. More recently, I've used gasoline. Makes scraping easier, though you do want to give them a good rinse. For making rabbit blankets, I just scrape them, cut them to lace, dry them, and use them green. Makes an extremely warm blanket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE