Bulldog billy cans. Why the high prices?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I was looking up some details on Bulldog billy cans yesterday and nearly spit my coffee out when I found this recent ebay sale for them in the States.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...0211&item=230933550211&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Why are they going for this kind of money? I know they are not made anymore and the quality of them is pretty decent but even so you could get a nest of Mors bush pots for that kind of price.

My main reason for asking is because I know I have a set in the attic. I use the small pot occasionally so had that to hand to check that it had the bulldog logo and was stamped as made in England, (B11). Do I search them out and wrap them in cotton wool now or flog them to the first American I see?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I sold mine on here a few years ago, I'd had them from a kid but only really used the smallest one for bushy trips.

Sold them and bought some titanium :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Dont miltec or similar make a copy?

Mill-com

Ronnie Sunshines has them for £14.99

cooking-set.jpg

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve had a set of Bulldog Billy for the last 30ish years and still use them.... :).. I would not sell them tho...

I ve got a new set of Mil Com, New and In box for £14 that I got for someone that did not want them in the end, I take them to meets incase I get to seel them :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have noticed the Mil-tec ones before. They seem the same but I guess it is a bit like any clone. It might good or even better but it is not the real thing. I may clean them up and join Bushcraft USA and put some feelers out.:)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have noticed the Mil-tec ones before. They seem the same but I guess it is a bit like any clone. It might good or even better but it is not the real thing. I may clean them up and join Bushcraft USA and put some feelers out.:)

There is a definate differance in the Quality, they are thicker for a start the Ali is Harder, and the billy does not deform on the Bulldog, the bale and fixings are better, and teh Actual forming of the billy and lid is better, not sure which Spec the Ali is, could get it checked if i really wanted to on the spectrometer, at the Ali foundry I work at, but it would leave a mark and would not want to do that on a new set for sale...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are collectable therefore sell for higher prices. Mine are many years old but are not better than the clones in terms of build quality. If I had to choose just one cook set it would be the Bulldog/clone sets. 2,4 and 6 pint pots whats not to like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE