Building a Pizza Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd quite like to make a wood-fired pizza oven when we move house - reckon there is enough room.

It will have to stand up to the weather - I don't think I can cover it to protect it from rain.

Any recommendations for plans and designs?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you want it to last you need to cover it. There are loads of designs out there and ways to build it.
Dont have any links at the minute but we used clay from the wood, chimney on top and a wooden door/plug. Made the best pizza I have ever had.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't want to do a 'wattle and daub' version, as that will deteriorate quite quickly in Yorkshire weather. I've seen two of them built and even when covered by a tarp they tend to break up.

Milius has built the cooks outdoor cooker! Eat your heart out, Jamie Oliver.

Ok. I'm thinking of a brick 'igloo' and water-resistant cement render. Fire-bricks for the 'cooking' base with a suitable run off so rain doesn't run in.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I made one with bricks from a friends fallen wall, I used uncemented bricks butted together for the base rather than fire bricks (mainly as I didn't have any) The cement render was mixed with vermiculite (?sp) to hopefully help with insulation.

Fjord

Dec 28, 2013
Bolton
Probably not quite the level you're looking for but the Scout Group that I'm involved with takes a half oil barrel on camp with us and turns it upside down with a hatch cut out of the front. It's sat on bricks and we cook pizzas/scones just on those. It could be a really low-cost solution for you if you could think of a way to disguise the barrel...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE