Bug attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slaine

Sep 23, 2005
Canterbury
Hi all,

First time poster but I've been dabbling quite a few years in bushcraft while traipsing around doing field achery. Only just stumbled across this great site. Lots of great articles to read, the missus is going to see even less of me now..... :rolleyes:

Managed to book myself onto the Ray Mears Fundamental bushcraft course but I've just read the article on your site about the reviewer being bitten to bits :eek: and I was wondering what repellant you would suggest to put on my clothes ?

Thanks

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Welcome!

There's not much that one can do to avoid being bitten, I'm afraid. Where's the course? Is it Dunkeld they hold the Fundamental course? What time of year? You might be lucky and be outside the midge season..
The subject has been discussed at length - use the search function and you'll get loads.
It appears Avon Skin-so-soft is good for keeping the bugs off skin. Technically, it's not a bug repellent but it's good enough for the Royal Marines.
See:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7899

I like Toddy's suggestion of Bog Myrtle - you'd have to ask her how to apply it though.

Other than that, best to stick close to the fire, keep the doors of your tent closed at all times, and get rid of all your fingernails coz you'll be scratching like mad otherwise...

Me? I just grin and bear it.

Hope you enjoy the course. Is it soon?

Cheers,
Neil

Edit:
Just found this one too. Permethrin... that's what I was trying to remember!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3562

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Another vote for Bog Myrtle here - works much better than DEET-based repellants for midges in my experience. Just rub the leaves between your palms then rub onto all exposed flesh. A wee bit of spit doesn't go wrong either. You can also rub it on your clothes, keep sprigs in your pockets, hang it in your tent, or use it for a smudge fire. I'd advise all of the above.

Another highly recommended bit of anti-midge kit is a shemagh. I prefer 'em to headnets - I reckon they're more versatile. Again, a good impregnation with Bog Myrtle (or lemongrass or citronella) helps.

I'd also advise against those convertible trousers you can unzip the legs from - the midges will swarm in through the gaps in the zips.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Hmm, bog myrtle's something I've not tried. I'm generally known as an effective midge deterrent when I go out with the family as all the midges go for me and leave everyone else alone!!! After a quick Google, I found this. Anyone tried it?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Slaine, Lifesystems Expedition Plus or Boots home brand Aftersun with mozzi guard are the best ive used, thats if you cant find a patch of bog myrtle to rub on ;) keep as much skin covered as you can and keep re applying the mozzi repellent to exposed skin.

Slaine

Sep 23, 2005
Canterbury
Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Ilovemybed... Course date is September so I've got plenty of time to get my kit up to scratch. Looking forward to the course although I'm not sure where it is being held.

@ gregorach... yikes !! I'll have to take my trousers with the button flies then ;). I never leave home without my shemagh though, I would be lost without it.

@ led... you doing anything this September :D

@Paganwolf... I saw the Lifesystems repellant in my local Blacks store but I was unsure how good it was.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Slaine said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Ilovemybed... Course date is September so I've got plenty of time to get my kit up to scratch. Looking forward to the course although I'm not sure where it is being held.

@ gregorach... yikes !! I'll have to take my trousers with the button flies then ;). I never leave home without my shemagh though, I would be lost without it.

@ led... you doing anything this September :D

@Paganwolf... I saw the Lifesystems repellant in my local Blacks store but I was unsure how good it was.

September? Then I'm afraid you're still in biting season... :eek:

I guess you'll just have to hope that they work you so hard you don't notice the bites!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The bugs that bit us on the Fundamental Course in Ashdown Forest in September where not midges. They were Chiggers (you can do a search for them on Google...they are well known in the US).

These things make midges look big. Really. They are about the size of a full stop/period mark on this page. They don't fly, think tick proof rather than mossi proof. Permethrin and DEET work, I would put money on things like bog myrtle and skin-so-soft being less effective.

We didn't have any problems with mossies, or midges on the course. Long sleeves, long trousers, light colours, and treated cuffs/socks work for most things as a general starting point. Don't stress about it until much nearer the time. Weather conditions over the summer make a big difference to what will be around and in what numbers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE