Buffing Compound

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi there,

I am looking for a buffing compund/polish which I can load my leather strop with.

What do you guys recommend?

I was thinking about something like this....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19933&name=chrome+polish+&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

Is it suitable, the only thing I can find locally is chrome polish. What's the best stuff to use, and where can I purchase it online? ;)

Cheers.
flexcut gold works quite well, as does green honing soap.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Great, thanks guys.

Just out of interest which is likey to be better, the compunds for axminster or a tube of autosol.

I can obviously pick up the autosol readily, and don't have to postage, so I am just wandering if the honing compounds are more suited to the purpose?

Thanks for your responses,

Buckley

leon-1

Great, thanks guys.

Just out of interest which is likey to be better, the compunds for axminster or a tube of autosol.

I can obviously pick up the autosol readily, and don't have to postage, so I am just wandering if the honing compounds are more suited to the purpose?

Thanks for your responses,

Buckley

Horses for courses mate, the honing compounds are very good, but I have seen equal results from the likes of autosol (speak to Sargey he uses it a lot IIRC), one thing I would say though is that the compounds last a long time, I bought mine about 4 years ago and they are still going strong and there's plenty left.

I also bought razor paste and that does pretty much what it says on the tin or in this case small plastic tube. Unfortunately they no longer appear to sell it on Axminster.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I use Solvol Autosol exclusivley myself. Very impressed with the results, as an readily available and effective resource, i don't think you can fault it. Works a treat.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Autosol, my personal experience is don't load it to heavily as Autosol works best whilst still in a paste form, use to much and it squeezes out under the knife blade and actually wears away the cutting edge, get your technique right and it is very good stuff.

Pothunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE