Budget tree strap options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey all, I've been putting together a few DIY hammocks as gifts - so far I've made the hammocks themselves and whoopie slings, but now I need to source something to use as tree straps.

Trying to keep the costs down, can anyone recommend a source of non-stretch webbing I can repurpose as a tree strap?

What do you think about this:

http://www.webfittings.co.uk/epages...dGRE1A1xHMCzn2RgehEJ9-HM9q82SWh8YgaAiws8P8HAQ

They don't give a breaking strength, I'm assuming 25mm polypro webbing should be strong enough and be fit for purpose?

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Lorry drivers discard those ratchet straps all the time, when they're too frayed to be safe anymore. Usually only frayed just in a few places, so should be able to get good parts off them.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
If you want new, find a supplier of horse tack, usually nylon webbing in rolls of many colors.

Nylon isn't the best for this application, it stretches when wet apparently. Polyester is best suited.

You can make do with a variety of different things I guess, and I expect there are plenty of folk who do and have no problems, but I wouldn't personally want to be responsible for using reclaimed or unsuitable materials and taking a chance with someone else's health and well being. If a strap breaks or gives out on you while hanging a few feet off the ground, you could easily end up in a wheelchair or a lot of trouble of one sort or another.

It's not like the best stuff for the job is expensive either.....

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Last edited:

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
I've had a look at all those links posted and the Cygnus Sails one I posted has 'em all beat.
Polypropylene is the worst of all roads, weaker than both nylon and polyester, not as stretch resistant as polyester, degrades quicker.

A rating of 900kg is plenty for tree straps, gives you a load limit of 180kg with a safety factor of 5 to 1 (which is pretty standard). If you wanted fully life rated (sf 10:1), then the 1500kg webbing from Cygnus Sails is still the cheapest, just heavier.

The offer for free seatbelt webbing is open to anyone.

--
Gadget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE