Budget sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I need a budget sleeping bag for around £50~ That is light/small. I only have a thin jungle bag (2 seasons?) and well I'm learnt the hard way I need a good bag. So if anyone could help me out to buy a new one, I'd be very grateful. I also have a belgian army bivi bag, are they any good? As I haven't really used it yet.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Any of these good?

Snugpak Sleeper lite and Snugpak Sleeper Zero, I presume they are the same, just one with DPM camo.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, copper-head I can't find that on any bushcraft shops :(

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
What I'd say with Snugpak in general is their temperature ratings are very honest. Quite a rare thing in my experience!

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
What I'd say with Snugpak in general is their temperature ratings are very honest. Quite a rare thing in my experience!

On the bags I listed they both have this

Comfort - 0c, Low -7c

Is -7 when I start to get cold? And will a bivi bag help?

Thanks

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
-7 is when the bag will stop you developing hypothermia (presuming your sleeping without any layers on), at 0c you'll be comfortable without any layers on.
Your bivi will add some warmth...

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
-7 is when the bag will stop you developing hypothermia (presuming your sleeping without any layers on), at 0c you'll be comfortable without any layers on.
Your bivi will add some warmth...

Thanks mate I think I'll buy the Sleeper lite, my upper body is always warm, but my feet are always cold, no matter if I have thermal socks or whatever on my feet, I don;t understand why.

Any thanks again!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I need a budget sleeping bag for around £50~ That is light/small. I only have a thin jungle bag (2 seasons?) and well I'm learnt the hard way I need a good bag. So if anyone could help me out to buy a new one, I'd be very grateful. I also have a belgian army bivi bag, are they any good? As I haven't really used it yet.

This is my winter bag:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-X-Treme-Lite-1200-Sleeping/dp/B00A7AV7ZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's very warm, packs small and is light - not quite a 4 season but almost. But it's a right PITA to get into in a hammock - so for that I use my 58 pat maggot unzipped like a quilt most of the time.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Thanks mate I think I'll buy the Sleeper lite, my upper body is always warm, but my feet are always cold, no matter if I have thermal socks or whatever on my feet, I don;t understand why.

Any thanks again!

If you have a fleece or duvet jacket out with you, zip it up , pull the arms into the body and then pull it over the foot end of your sleeping bag.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Any thanks again!

Are they cold when you sleep at home?

If they are only cold when out camping, then I think this indicates you don't have enough insulation.

Top Tip Two for camping in cold weather; wear a warm soft hat/headcovering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE