Budding Camper/Hiker here!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Hey everyone,

I am Rachel, 32 from England. I recently made the decision to take up hiking and camping, and in March 2016 I will be attempting my first hike/multi-day camping trip in Comrie, Scotland. I am currently carefully researching my gear, and routes to take etc (although given I don't know what to look for, progress is quite slow!).

I like to know stuff before I do stuff, so apologies in advance if I ask seemingly idiotic questions about camping!

Nice to meet you all ^_^

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum!

I'm just like yourself a keen hiker, and thanks to this forum and it's members I'm going to have my 1st multi day wild camp next month! 😊

This is a great place and I'm sure you'll learn loads.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi and welcome to the forum :) . No such thing as a daft question here we where all first timers once!

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Rachel and welcome,

Ask any questions you want , no matter how silly they seem. No one knows everything about camping/bushcraft/the outdoors but there is a great range of folk on this forum with tremendous knowledge so I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers to whatever you ask. The answers might not always agree though 😉 but they will represent a wealth of experience.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the forum.
Herbalist's comment puts me in mind of the saying, if you want four opinions put three Scotsmen in a room. :rolleyes: Think that gets multuplied by a factor of four with bushcrafters though we usually arrive at the answer in the end. :D
Ask away and I see you're coming up to Comrie. Are you staying at Comrie Croft? Great place, staff & area are very good. Have camped there a fair bit even though it's close to home for me. The village of Comrie is pretty nice to if you are after supplies or a good coffee. (So saying the new cafe on the campsite is good too.)
I'm sure that everyone will pitch in with answers.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
Welcome. I'm sure you'll get answers for everything you need to know from here. Just reading over various threads on these forums has given me a load of knowledge!

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Hi Rachael. I feel like we've spoken before!

I believe so. I had the account aaaaages ago (when I tried to sign up with my email, it told me I was a member haha), I just had a look and it was a post I made asking about Starkhaven camping; I don't think I made more than one or two posts. I never got round to camping back then, the opportunity wasn't right. But now things are different so I can get more involved :D

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the forum.
Herbalist's comment puts me in mind of the saying, if you want four opinions put three Scotsmen in a room. :rolleyes: Think that gets multuplied by a factor of four with bushcrafters though we usually arrive at the answer in the end. :D
Ask away and I see you're coming up to Comrie. Are you staying at Comrie Croft? Great place, staff & area are very good. Have camped there a fair bit even though it's close to home for me. The village of Comrie is pretty nice to if you are after supplies or a good coffee. (So saying the new cafe on the campsite is good too.)
I'm sure that everyone will pitch in with answers.
ATB,
GB.

I am indeed! My plan (since it's my first time, and I want to be sensible/careful) is to book the site as a kind of... 'base'. So if the weather gets a bit too hairy, I've got somewhere safe to go until it blows over, or whatever. But I intend to periodically hike out from there and wild camp on the walk up to Ben Chonzie.

Since you're local, can I PM you about Deil's Cauldron? I've googled it but it's quite an elusive subject, not much detailed info on it! (or is thread derailing okay if it's your own thread lol)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can derail your own thread all you like. Will did out some pics and info on it and post back here later. Getting ready to head 'round to pick up a freinds dog at the monent.
TTFN.
GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It seems I have no digital pictures of the Deil's Cauldron, they must all be old film ones that I've not scanned.

As you're staying at Comrie Croft I'll pop up a link to a fellow members walking group. They're called the Easy Walkers and have an annual meetup at Comrie Croft and walk to the Cauldron from there. It's about a 6 mile round trip and the going is fairly easy. When I was up there last year with them I hadn't had the operation yet so didn't do the walk. Just bravely stayed in camp keeping the fire alight and the kettle on. Sort of an inverse Captain Oates.
:rolleyes: Easy Walkers Deil's Caldron walk.
The Walk Highlands Website has a pretty good walk description HERE.
What sort of info are you looking for? Just fire some questions and I'll see what I can answer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE