British DPM Smock Vs US M65 jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
It seems the US M65 is a popular jacket on this board. However, the British Smock seems to create more interest on US messageboards. I guess it's because of the rarity of each depending on the country where you live. Does anyone here own and have woods experience with each? Which one is your favorite bushcraft jacket? What are the disadvantages/advantages of each?

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
It seems the US M65 is a popular jacket on this board. However, the British Smock seems to create more interest on US messageboards. I guess it's because of the rarity of each depending on the country where you live. Does anyone here own and have woods experience with each? Which one is your favorite bushcraft jacket? What are the disadvantages/advantages of each?

Hi Leatherneck,
I wear a M65 jacket all the time to be honest but i never wear it when out in the woods or out camping :) It's a great jacket, very warm in the winter months.
Never tryed the British Smock tho so i guess you have a point there! But then again i'm not really into DPM stuff.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had an M65 but did not like the cuffs or pocket set up - I much prefer the GB smock :)
Better still a Ventile smock based on the old '60s SAS smock:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's what I use - a Ventile SAS smock. Tried others but that one works for me (in OG not DPM)

Chastiser

Need to contact Admin...
M65 for me. had one since early 2008. still looks like new even though it has been worn lots. slept in it, and even worn it with a suit underneath for work during the snow.

warm as toast with the liner and i like the fact that you can wash the outer and then rewaterproof it easily.

I also like the length of the front zip. long enough to do up the whole coat but short enough that you can wear the coat done up when driving but not risk damaging the zip by pulling it apart while in a sitting position.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
brit smock, windproof, arctic or sas. very light in comparison to the m65, better hood, bigger better pockets, more articulated arms, dries probably 5 times faster. m65 is certainly robust, good for brambles, but the MOD got it right with the windproof. the general smocks are also very good, same basic design, very robust. only come in dpm tho unless you pay the extra wonga!
if going out anywhere for a week, with those 2 options on the table in front of me its gotta be the smock. the m65 if not being worn also weighs a lot more to carry!

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
I have an Austrian M65 that I use by the fire during the winter months. I like the pocket setup and the concealed hood, but it's quite heavy (as mentioned in the posts above.)

Therefore I settled upon something lighter for activities like skiing and hiking and found a DPM windproof desert smock on eBay. I removed the upper pockets, threw it in the washing machine with a pack of black Dylon and added a Bergans fur ruff , inspired by this design: http://www.fjallraven.se/friluftsliv/produktguider/friluftsklader/Guide_jackor/fjallraven-tur-set/

The lesson learned regarding pockets is that four is enough, like on the M65. I miss an inner pocket on the smock, though. The zipped pockets are big enough to take my 0,5 litre thermos.

All in all the desert smock is great: Lightweight, comfy, well-designed, excellent hood, Canadian buttons, reasonably quick-drying and at 10% of the price of the Fjällräven Tur jacket. (Not as stylish, of course, but who's going to complain in the forest?)

I also believe that it breathes a bit better than most polycotton jackets, as there is a higher percentage of cotton in the fabric.(?)

Erik1

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
How did the pockets come off? did it leave any marking where the stiching was or did they come off pretty clean? very interesting idea, i fancy a dpm jacket for shooting but taking the top pockets off would give it more of a field jacket/barbour sort of look with big cartridge pockets!!

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
The stitching was as tough as old boots. You hardly notice the marks/holes after the stitching, especially after dyeing the smock. I must add that the DPM pattern is still visible, just subdued as the jacket turned charcoal. (I tried brown dye first, only to be left with a brownish shade of purple on the brighter areas.)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The stitching was as tough as old boots. You hardly notice the marks/holes after the stitching, especially after dyeing the smock. I must add that the DPM pattern is still visible, just subdued as the jacket turned charcoal. (I tried brown dye first, only to be left with a brownish shade of purple on the brighter areas.)
i've tried dying desert dpm trousers brown and got left with dark tan camo print on top of a very snazzy shade of brownish purple! also with all the polyester lines showing up in the weave. NICE! they are used for the very bushy activity known as 'decorating the house' won't dye any dpm unless its all cotton.

garethw

Settler
Hi there,
I"ve been a fan of the M65 for years... I love the look and as a press photographer in Paris it was almost de rigueur as uniform...(I had a navy one & a beige)
Since I left the press corps, I've had 2 others in green.. the best by far my current one, the Alpha Industries in olive.
It's warm as the liner is thick and the cuffs knitted... and I like the pockets. Mine has an inside pocket but as its sewn to the cotton lining its not a very good pocket for weighty items like a wallet.
Ok its not very waterproof, the hood is useless, and its heavy.
I have a French army Goretex jacket that is alomlst as good but is waterproof and far lighter.
I don't tend to wear the M65 in an outdoor situation... I prefer the gortex jacket with fleeces underneath or a poncho for rain.
But if I had to choose my favourite ever coat it would be the M65, above the US Peacoat and the Fishtail Parka...(ok I'll kick over my scooter and go)
Cheers
Gareth

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE