British Army MTP Bivi Bag pros and cons ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Thinking about getting a bivi bag for occasional overnights all year round.

See a lot of these British Army Gortex bivis advertised , guess it depends how much wear they have had ,but how good are they ?

Any other budget bivi suggestions ?

Thanks

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Bomb proof. The OD ones are the older style and were then swapped to DPM. Not seen an MTP one yet.
My only issue with them is the lack of zip entry and you have to shuffle into them. This being said they don't have a zip to leak.
I now have one of the U.S. ones which has a cover over the face which can totally enclose you (good or bad)
I still lay mine on a lightweight groundsheet to protect it so if you got one of the older ones and did this you should be ok.

My OD issue one has had one small repair and still doesn't leak after 10years.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The MTP version is the same as the DPM & OG ones except you pay more because it's the current pattern. You can probably get a brand new OG one which will serve just as well for much less.

It's quite a basic bivi; just a big sac with a drawcord at the top. There hard to beat really but where you live you might want to think about one with a midge net? I have an old Mountain Range one which has a net sewn in sadly Mountain Range are longer in buisness.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I got a centre zip mod done on my OD bivvy, certainly cuts down on the old bivvy wiggle. Limits it to using it with a tarp I suppose but I always did that anyway.

Cost me about £4 for the zip and £10 at a clothing alterations place.

433e0990-524a-41c0-a63b-9c23fb648107_zpsd19a657f.jpg
33859c5b-ca74-4f32-b35d-7439730d59a7_zps60f707df.jpg

Like Johnnyboy says a bomb proof bit of kit and they keep going strong. You might want to check out the Alpkit Hunka bivvy as another option, I got one recently as a lighter weight option to my army bivvy.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
I got a centre zip mod done on my OD bivvy, certainly cuts down on the old bivvy wiggle. Limits it to using it with a tarp I suppose but I always did that anyway.

Cost me about £4 for the zip and £10 at a clothing alterations place.

433e0990-524a-41c0-a63b-9c23fb648107_zpsd19a657f.jpg
33859c5b-ca74-4f32-b35d-7439730d59a7_zps60f707df.jpg

Like Johnnyboy says a bomb proof bit of kit and they keep going strong. You might want to check out the Alpkit Hunka bivvy as another option, I got one recently as a lighter weight option to my army bivvy.

Which do you prefer from the Alpkit and Army one?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just a thought but if you could get some goretex fabric you could sew it on the inside. If it's loose enough you'll be able to get in and out easily but be waterproof too.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There are two types of British army Bivvi bag, there is the standard version, available in OG, DPM, and MTP, and there is the large version, which is available in OD, DPM and MTP. The difference is that the large version has a large triangle of goretex fabric sown in, making getting into the bag a lot easier and doesn't need a zip. Downside is that it is slightly heavier.

I've had a Large BA goretex bag for 10 years now and I really like it, only once had a little condensation on the bag, and that was largely due to the weather conditions.

If you buy a bivvi bag, consider getting The book of the bivvi

Julia

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just a thought but if you could get some goretex fabric you could sew it on the inside. If it's loose enough you'll be able to get in and out easily but be waterproof too.

I have had good results with making my own bivi bags.
the most basic I made was a simple rectangular bag with a drawcord top. The most advanced was a diagonal zip bivi...
The pattern for a horizontal zipped bivi is in my book "A Basic Guide to making your own Outdoor Activities Equipment" while the diagonal zip pattern is still available from www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk. - it is leaflet 8. Leaflet 9 is also one of my designs .. for a hooped bivi
I no longer have any connection with Pennine but they bought all rights to the pattern leaflets that I made for them.
Making your own kit is a great way to get exactly what you want at a fraction of what it might cost on the high street.
Currently I am looking at making a Ventile or Waxed Cotton Bivi (probably as a simple bag style) as I am trying to get rid of synthetics from my kit ... but funds (well - the lack of really!) are slowing this process!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've used various british army version - old OG ones, and newer OG, DPM , and MTP versions with the extra triangle of fabric at the opening - certainly makes getting in easier as the hood area is huge - essentially it opens to your waist. To be honest, i've only seen the old OG ones that don't have this triangle of fabric all the DPM and MTP versions i've come across seem to have the updated design with the wider opening. They are my choice for bushcraft as i don't tend to carry my kit very far, but when i do carry my stuff a distance, then i use an Alkpkit hunka.

As described above - the alpkits bivvis are much much lighter (less than half the weight) and more compact. I've slept on concrete with mine and not had any issues, so are fairly robust, but if strength is important to you, the issue ones will win hands down. Note that the standard size alpkit hunka is quite a tight fit - i'm tall - 6ft3, and reletively slim, and it only just fits me with a 2 season sleeping bag. If you like a bit more room, or wish to use a warmer sleeping bag without fear of the bivi bag reducing the loft, go for a Hunka XL - which are approx the same dimensions as the issue bag, but still lighter. Breathability of the alpkit versions has always been fine for me, although on paper at least they aren't supposed to be as breathable as the issue bags.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
+1 for the version with the triangular flap - no problems getting in or out, plus (in the right environment/weather) there's enough space to prop it open, thus reducing condensation.

Re. the weight of the issue bivvys, they're half the weight (and about a third of the bulk) of any backpacking tent! For me, that's magical.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
The enlarged triangle on the dpm+ mtp, helps me struggle in/out my trusty doss bag. There are lighter bags as mentioned above. It comes down to cost Vs weight.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Haven't used the Alpkit in anger yet but it's more compact and lighter than the army one and the Alpkit (xl version)is a little roomier too.

Hi Would be interested to hear how you get on with the Alpkit bag. Been using the issue bag since 1990 and its time for a change even just in a different colour, would be good. Do you have the kelp of the lego, chilli (how bright are they)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi Would be interested to hear how you get on with the Alpkit bag. Been using the issue bag since 1990 and its time for a change even just in a different colour, would be good. Do you have the kelp of the lego, chilli (how bright are they)

I'm taking it out for a night next weekend so I'll be sure to report back. I went for kelp it's a similar green to say a DD tarp, Adz of this forum has the lego one. It's a very bright blue. They all look pretty good though I think.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just wondering because the red I might attract un wanted attention (people wondering why i camping where/there) But it does have the advantage of emergency use to be spotted easier.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
For me, the whole joy of the bivvy is being able to sleep pretty much anywhere (mountain top, next to lake, twenty paces from the last pub in the village). If I need to summon emergency attention, I just knock up one of these :D:
The-Wicker-Man-35033_3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE