British Army Issue Infantry Bergen in DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Mines dated 1990 OG and has a removable frame.

I'd be interested to see the differences in design. I have seen one that had a QR buckle on the shoulder so you could drop the pack like an ALICE pack.

i got it off the bay for a tenner i think some time ago, it had just been listed as a green army rucksack! has one name on the name label which is white cloth. virtually un used by the look of it, came with one side pouch which was darker and really really stiff and stays in shape even when empty. all zips are identical plce type and everything is the same as a later one, no qr buckles on the straps though?

the frame is a two prong version which i don't like as much as the three prong, doesn't feel as stable around the top of the straps. the only other thing i noticed was that though the buckles for adjusting the shoulder straps are same shape and type, you can't just pull the leader to tightenen them up while youve got it on, you have to lift it slightly as you do for loosening off the strap. it's like the teeth are biting in both directions on the webbing, but this may be due to lack of use in it's previous life. also the straps are unfinished and just heat sealed so you can unthread them from the buckles very easily.

the velcro closed flap inside the bag that covers the head of the frame on my later ones is not present and the very top of the frame is visible showing the rivets to the main bag. was surprised to see this as replacement of frame is not possible without destroying the bag, probably why it was changed. all the stamps are immaculate and show the date 1989 and rucksack, convoluted, long etc.

bit of a find and if another og bergen comes my way i might get it just so i don't over use what could be a collectable down the line.
cheers all
Rob

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that needs to be a new thread really as it's a totally different bag, I can't comment on it as I've never seen or used one.

one question though: this seesm to be a feature good enough to advertise:
Internal "U" bar providing Rucksack shape and stability - this can be removed if required.

Removing the U bar can surely only weaken the bag, and provide less back support (not really a "feature").
The only time I can see the need to remove it, would be if it is broken.
are they scraping the barrel for "features"?:confused:
I'm suspicious:bluThinki

but to answer the question, it would be more comfy, less space, not as strong, but you'll be less likely to carry too much, the U bar is a bit of an archaic frame, for a bag made today. I had a cheap rucksack back in the 80's like that, after a while you will feel the frame, especially if heavily loaded.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
Assuming someone is not going to be wearing webbing with the bergen, what size range is encompassed by the two bergen sizes- short and long back?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Assuming someone is not going to be wearing webbing with the bergen, what size range is encompassed by the two bergen sizes- short and long back?

PLCE?

Under 6ft Short back

Over 6ft long back.

I'm around 6ft and found the long back version more comfortable for use without webbing.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
agree with RAPPLEBY2000, Long Back if your over 6 feet, short if you're well, short..er.

I'm 6"2 and use the long back when i'm in need of a bag that large.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE