British Army Issue Infantry Bergen in DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Hi all,

I am new and looking to get kitted out from scratch. What is the best thing to put all my stuff in that is easy to carry?

The British Army Issue Infantry Bergen is available for £55 (without side pouches) from www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk.

Does anyone know the litre volume?

Is it any good or are there other recommendations? I like to think that our boys are well supplied (Mr Brown...?) and that this is a good rusksack for lengthy hikes but what say you? I like the look of something more military than Millets but have no idea what is the best for function in the field so please advise.

Thanks.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Not sure of the volume without the pouches (mine doesnt have pouches either)

I personally think its fantastic, carries all the kit I need very comfy for both walking a distance whilst loaded and on the back whilst doing long distance bike riding. Works great for me :)

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Hi, its 100ltrs without the side pouches, 70 with the side zips done up and 120ltrs with both side pouches attached.

I picked up a genuine brand new green one for a lot less (without side pouches) on e-bay they usally go between £30-50 for an A1+ so hunt around...

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
The PLCE bergan is a good bag and has a big volume, as everyone else has pointed out. It's well-made and sturdy with two lid pockets and one front pocket that can fit water bottle and mug.

If anything, it can be a bit too big at times, allowing you to carry too much (which is what I foolishly do far too often). The side straps allow for some volume control though.

The back system is plain, with no adjustment for personal fit. It's made to fit over webbing, remember.

Like much of the force's individual kit it is in line to be replaced in the next few years in line with the FIST/PECOC programmes (can never remember which one does what, but they seem to work together).

Claudiasboris

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
over the last 13 years! I used a olive green PLCE bergen(short back), I've also used to have the DPM long back version.
I liked both, both were fine for my needs

you may have noticed from the previous answers, no one can decide on it's actual size?
it's because it's irrelevant to soldiers, it just does the job (often badly!), we are using civilian eyes and to judge military kit, which never works at the best of times.
I should also point out after several years working in outdoor sports shops that the big brand rucksack makers all use different methods of measuring volume, over the years some measure the whole sack, some don't count the pockets. some have measured with water (I was told) or polystyrene balls in plastic bags (which is why the term "liters" came about), all come up with slightly different results and of course the results are rounded up.

also all the standard large sacks over the last 30 years or so seem to be around 60-80 liters why?
over many, many years of scientific and military research everyone has basically agreed that 60-80 liters is about sensible size for a human to carry!
why are Military rucksacks twice the size...because they have to carry huge amounts of kit (but then they get paid to carry them).

before you buy one without the pouches take a look at the past threads of people trying to get the pouches (if you're buying one get the lot).

also beg, borrow, or steal one to try BEFORE you buy!

also remember it's designed for soldier and to be chucked out of trucks covered in muck etc
but more importantly it was never really designed to be used on it's own, it's part of the PLCE system...confused? read on, this will enlighten a lot of new Bushcrafters!

1: It will be tough.
2: Not the most comfortable rucksack for the price. you may be disappointed.
3: It is 120l of space (and you will fill it believe me! ;) ) normal civilian rucksacks are around 60l (which is half the size!), you can remove the side pockets and compress the sack to reduce the size but it takes a lot of discipline to do so.

4: DPM looks military (well...it is) if you take this sort of bag to some 3rd world countries you could get mistaken for a soldier and shot!.(olive green is slightly safer and will give you less strange looks when out walking (it's why i changed from DPM to OG).
5: The material itself is tough therefore heavy.

6: not many Bushcrafters know this: but the belt is not a hip belt!!! the rucksack is designed to be worn on top of webbing so the belt really is just to stop it falling off,(not to be comfortable on the hips) it gives no hip support (unlike most modern civilian rucksacks). don't expect much from it (there are even loops behind it to tuck it away when not in use which to be honest I do a lot).
because the bag is designed to fit above webbing you'll find the "hip" belt is more of a "tummy" belt (too high) and useless to support the loads with your hips

7: (remembering 6!) you need to get the right back length.
I'm 6ft and i use the short back version (apparently the right length if you are using webbing),
if over 6ft you should use a long back version (assuming webbing is used).
you see the problem? getting the right back length assumes you are using PLCE webbing because the webbing is (in effect)the hip belt .

8: you will get a sweaty back! there is no airflow system or open mesh just cordura.
9: you still have to pack your bag carefully if you fill it with tins you will feel them poking in your back.
10: I've (and many others) feel the shoulder straps and padding are a bit thin. not good if you are carrying serious weight (120l worth) I've made my own add on padding.

hope i haven't put you off just want you and others to be clear what you are buying

oh and make sure it's real there are some fakes around, you can tell because everything's softer on it including the straps and buckles!

now you have most of the info I've learned over 13 years of use...that 13 years of good solid use nothing has ever gone wrong or broken on either DPM or OG bag. good bag if you are ok with the list above!
I also use webbing often so the whole hip belt issue isn't relevant to me anyway.
I use mine all the time and I love it!

lastly I've done mountain leadership training all of it with my PLCE Bergen, I would use a civilian one next time, PLCE for Military and Bushcrafters only!

As a guide use the sack part on it's own, use the side pockets on their own don't fill all of it and carry all of it, when using the Bergen carry the empty or full side pockets inside the bergen not attached to the outside.

if you are going to carry 120l worth of kit get a better sack! or a better health plan ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjellstorm

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Rappleby, that's probably the best and most honest review of the PLCE I've read.

Nobody needs 120 liters for normal use, and for extended outings, you should probably have a better pack anyway.

If you really really want a military looking pack, go for the sabres, lowe alpines, sacci or other brands.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I've got a shortback version of the PLCE Bergan, and I used it once on an overnight walk. most of the guys I was with where using 65L backpacks, and honestly I could have too, but the 100L size of the bergan let me pack fairly haphazardly (stuffing sleeping bag ect straight in, no need to worry about compression) and alloweb me rummage room.

I am never, ever ever ever, doing it again. my shoulders took two days to recover, it's now relegated to being used to carry gear on camps where the longest walk is the trip from the carpark to the tent, all of about 200m.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I think the Highlander packs are really good value.
I suppose everyone's a different shape and you have to find one that feels right for you but my little Forces 33 is amazingly comfortable, I particularly like (everything about) the straps.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Why spend £55

Why?...

[FONT=arial, helvetica]GRADE TWO- More visible signs of wear and faded colour
*ALL ITEMS OFFERED FOR SALE ON THIS WEBSITE ARE GRADE TWO* *
[/FONT]

That'll be why it's £15.;)

as a rule, unless you can see it in your hands and can see the faults etc grade two is a bit risky online

(also the picture linked shows the bag without the side pockets the big selling point of the bag!)
so you can add another £20+ to get the side pouches and yoke (of similar quality) to complete the bag that's if the zips match!
Oh, didn't i mention that? early issue and newer zips can differ:(
and when you do make up the full set, it's life will already be reduced.
It'll probably have names/numbers scrawled over it in permanent marker or paint too!
I seem to remember you have to pay extra, like a "cash and carry" it really is that cheap if you buy 10 of them otherwise you have to pay a hefty postage price, is that right?

[FONT=arial, helvetica]More visible signs of wear? [/FONT]= possible holes cuts worn out areas
it already has had a hard life and the army is literally chucking it out!

worth it if you are just finding out what they feel like, how big they are etc .
not worth it if you want it to last years like mine and others have.

Saying that I got a PLCE Bergen, side pockets yoke and full PLCE webbing all in grade 1 condition for £50 on E-bay
the webbing and side pockets were fine but i needed to fix, 2 holes in the Bergen, re-stitch one shoulder strap and replace one of the zips (which i did myself, for free, still a bargain)

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi all,

I am new and looking to get kitted out from scratch. What is the best thing to put all my stuff in that is easy to carry?

The British Army Issue Infantry Bergen is available for £55 (without side pouches) from www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk.

Does anyone know the litre volume?

Is it any good or are there other recommendations?
Thanks.

Hi,

If you need a large capacity green bomb proof rucksack

Take a look on Ebay for a used Berghaus Cyclops Roc 70L or Berghaus Crusader 100L or Berghaus Vulcan 100L or if your feeling fancy a Berghaus Atlas 120L??.

such as:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BERGHAUS-CYCLOPS-ROC-VGC-MARINES-PARA-FALKLANDS-80s_W0QQitemZ110476973269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item19b8f0d4d5

The sellers blurb is a bit of BS but the Bergen is top kit. No connection to seller yada yada....

Or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Berghaus-Crusader-Roc-Rucksack-for-Hiking-Bushcraft_W0QQitemZ350300008588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH?hash=item518f81f08c

Also no connection

The issue PLCE pack is based on the Berghaus Crusader.

I thought Surplus supremos Endicotts in Exeter had some used Berghaus Vulcans

All the Berghaus 'Bergens' ( with the exception of the Atlas IIRC) had fixed back lengths which ran from 1-3 on the older packs ( such as those linked to) and 1-4 on the newer Vulcans.

So you might need to ask the seller what size it is if the label is still on it.

If you don't really need a green rucksack but want something tough functional and simple....

Then...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lowe-Alpine-70-20L-Cerro-Torre-Rucksack_W0QQitemZ290389141621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH?hash=item439c8aa875

Once more no connection to seller....

A very well made and constructed pack....

Basically you don't have to throw a lot of coin at a pack to get something useable and well made ( but you can if you want to). I'd buy Berghaus ( or any other well know brand) over the issue PLCE Bergen any day of the week and twice on a day where I'd have to carry a PLCE pack any distance.

Seeing as the used Berghaus kit is as cheap or cheaper then the PLCE stuff why wouldn't you.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
dammit:eek:, I knew I'd forgotten something!:eek:

The issue PLCE pack is based on the Berghaus Crusader.

Johnboy is of course correct,
basically even when i was in the TA in 1990 we were issued 58" large packs we were "encouraged" to buy our own surplus rucksack or if you were skint a cheap"green" rucksack with a DPM cover.

so many people were using climbing sacks in the army that they started issuing them! and as mentioned the Berghaus Crusader seemed to fit the job!

and I totally agree the Berghaus Crusader is a far better, more comfortable bag!

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm not really sure, is the truth...

I don't actually do much long distance or extended period stuff now.

when it comes down to it...

reminds me of my army training(when i was young) though we had 58" pack.
I know my limitations so i don't fill the sack as many do.
I can chuck it about, i rally have no concerns when placing it on any surface.
Unless i try to ! I know it won't rip or get damaged.

The side pouch clip on/off thing I've loved since i first saw it back at Bassingbourne barracks a guy had bought his own PLCE Bergen new, and we all loved it! we mostly had GS, SAS/Para bergens or even 58" packs all of it as outdated as the SLR's!
A bit of rough make me feel more "hunter/gatherer"? does that make sense?
and fnally It's british....

just before you figure out my whole psychological profile...:rolleyes:

I also have and like the ALICE pack with frame....

ok heres the cards on the table...
Sometimes you like stuff cause it makes you feel good/more effective.
It was never a "bushcraft thing". a "survival" thing if I'm being really honest, basically stuff that will not fail in any given situation and your comfort comes second, sort of army sledge hammer to crush a nut mentality.

not sure I'm fit enough now though:rolleyes:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Why?...

as a rule, unless you can see it in your hands and can see the faults etc grade two is a bit risky online

(also the picture linked shows the bag without the side pockets the big selling point of the bag!)
so you can add another £20+ to get the side pouches and yoke (of similar quality) to complete the bag that's if the zips match!
It'll probably have names/numbers scrawled over it in permanent marker or paint too!
I seem to remember you have to pay extra, like a "cash and carry" it really is that cheap if you buy 10 of them otherwise you have to pay a hefty postage price, is that right?

[FONT=arial, helvetica]More visible signs of wear? [/FONT]= possible holes cuts worn out areas

worth it if you are just finding out what they feel like, how big they are etc .

Saying that I got a PLCE Bergen, side pockets yoke and full PLCE webbing all in grade 1 condition for £50 on E-bay
the webbing and side pockets were fine but i needed to fix, 2 holes in the Bergen, re-stitch one shoulder strap and replace one of the zips (which i did myself, for free, still a bargain)

I agree wholeheartedly mate. I bought a load of grade 2 stuff recently and about 40% of it was repairable and I do use it. I use an infantry bergen with side pouches, another one zipped on to the front of it 'modified with zips added, and another on to the top of the bergen. But, I do tend to carry way too much kit because of the capacity of the thing. In an emergency I can add pouches '4 of' with certain equipment that entertains any situatition that may arise...getting a bit 28 days later here but.....I have a standard infantry bergan packed and can add or change pouches as required. At the end of the day, I tend to use a 45ltr pack for a night or two out as it has everything I need and avoids me carrying necessary crap I do not need with me. Bergen plus all the pouches....thats about 140 litres all in with the extrea ones.....too heavy, sorry for the rant but been on the best spirit known to man......Sailor Jerrys rum....:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why?...

Have to say that the pack I had from them for my lad was by no means grade two or faded, it was in top condition as is most stuff I've had from them. The green wool socks at £1 were in fact un-issued as were the quilted undertrousers at £2.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Have to say i didn't know about the belt on the PLCE bergen being for the waist and not the hips.
However, being only five foot seven, the belt on the long back bergen sits on my hips quite nicely.
Which is a good job because as Rappleby says the shoulder straps are rock hard.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Have to say i didn't know about the belt on the PLCE bergen being for the waist and not the hips.
However, being only five foot seven, the belt on the long back bergen sits on my hips quite nicely.
Which is a good job because as Rappleby says the shoulder straps are rock hard.

as I say it works for some people not for others!
I'm 6ft and the long back seemed better if not wearing webbing(contrary to the military measuring system).
i use a short back now mainly because i occasionally use webbing, and the general dimentions of the bag are more usefull.

generally speaking (comparing the shape of the sacks):

the long back: is longer and thinner (only by a few inches) I found if you zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack space was unusable.

the short back: is shorter and fatter (only by a few inches) I found if you zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack space was reduced to perhaps 40l size.

ability to turn from a rucksack to a daysack? a small but significant difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE