Bringing a glowing ember to flame

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I had my first attempt at fire by bow drill last weekend and I was well chuffed with myself when, after about half an hour of false starts, I managed to produce a glowing ember. Thinking that I was almost home and hosed, I then fell at the last fence, 'cos I couldn't get the thing to ignite the cotton wool that I was using as tinder.

I think, with hindsight, that I may have been too gentle with it, and that I might have been successful if I had been more aggressive with my blowing on the ember. Does anyone have any good general advice on bringing a glowing ember to flame?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
A big ball of dry grass works well. I'm still practising - nowhere near expert but I see it as two stages (1 producing the ember, 2 blowing the ember to flame), both of which need practice. Blowing an ember to flame is still a hard job sometimes if you're knackered and sweaty from the bow drill.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've practised bowdrill loads lately and I've found ingniting cotton wall to be harder than igniting a dry ball of buffed up grass! Don't know why.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
cotton wool seems to react differently to natural materials, i find it's best to place ember in cotton wool and just leave it for a short while before blowing, the ember will grow and cotton wool will turn a yellowish colour, when it turns colour you can then blow as normal, if you blow too soon the ember will die on you, it's surprising just how long you can leave it before you start blowing, in natural stuff like dry grass/leaves you can blow immediately on placing ember and it's quicker to flame but with cotton wool you have to wait for ember to grow, also don't compress it too tight but too loose is also no good, just reasonably compact, the key is patience and letting ember grow without blowing too soon and watch for it turning yellowish in colour, then blow building up from gentle to blowing hard when smoking profusely.

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
Personally, i try not to puff on an ember too much because your breath is so full of moisture. I just place it in a little nest of roughed up grass/hay etc... and do a couple of big blows then swing it around a bit in the air. also, dont squash the ember by holding the grassy bundle too tightly

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like 'natural' is the way to go from now on, although, even if I do master the technique, I think I'll still keep some cotton wool and a ferro rod with me as a back up.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Personally, i try not to puff on an ember too much because your breath is so full of moisture. I just place it in a little nest of roughed up grass/hay etc... and do a couple of big blows then swing it around a bit in the air. also, dont squash the ember by holding the grassy bundle too tightly
I've been thinking (dangerous occupation!) about the science of blowing onto an ember. Conclusion? Well I would suggest that there is no problem blowing on an ember as long as your breath is not visible (as in cold damp weather) As long as the water vapour stays as vapour then it is probably no more harmful than the nitrogen content of the air.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Have a go with a bit of the bark from the paperbark tree bark,There I think there should be a few of them around Mudgee what kind of wood are you using mate?I never had much luck with natives trees

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE