Bowl WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - this wee project started a few months back at a meet at Comrie croft. - Those of you who were there will know the one I mean! ;)
Anyway - the story starts in Glasgow - where they were cutting down some trees in the park due to disease. I think they were cherry but not sure.
So I've been walking past these trees for the best part of two years - always eyeing up the 18x15" burr on the side of one of the trees. When one day to my amazement one of the tree surgeons had obviously taken a dislike to the burr and cut it off. *I'll have that thankyou very much*. And I hauled it home.
Some months later the now very dry burr was taken to the meet and I began hacking at it with my axe. - to little avail.

George - the wonderful chap who runs the site had a hand adze. - which served me very well for the next day or so carving out the rough shape.

The only before picture I have is this:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71381&p=867396#post867396

After the meet:

dscn2305m.jpg

dscn2306d.jpg

dscn2307u.jpg

More than a few lads at the meet had a good old go at it with a mallet and chisel for a while too. I think I missed a good deal of the evenings entertainment before I stopped.
I bought a bowl gouge to do the rest of the work - I carved, carved and carved!

then some more

and some more

Finally I reached the point where to do any more to it might break it because I started to see bark showing through from the back.
So I thought I'd just sand it smooth. ..yeah that didn't work at all.

Then I got the grinder out :cool: :naughty:

that didn't do much either :banghead::aargh4: until I changed disc's. lol

I've smoothed it back a bit more now and will be putting a second coat of oil on tonight. Too dark to get decent pics now so you will have to wait.

sorry for the rant

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered how you'd gotten on with that :) It was as hard as, well a 'very' hard thing iirc.
Looking good now though :)

cheers,
M

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I wondered how you'd gotten on with that :) It was as hard as, well a 'very' hard thing iirc.
Looking good now though :)

cheers,
M

lol Very hard indeed Toddy.

You can imagine my surprise when the grinder didn't really touch it. Even with a sanding disc it took some doing.

The oil has brought out the grain wonderfully!

Cheers
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE