Boots, Which Type?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Seal skin socks :) Iv got 3 pairs of boots my allround boot is a Converse tactical bit pricey £60 but my MRT Scapers were £120 and my winter Sapers were £160 and only get worn once a year on winter training. But it cant be said enough - GOOD SOCKS :D

Aug 28, 2006
UK
Personally I would go for Scarpa boots. They really last, and so long as you get a good fit, are really comfortable. I had a pair for 12 years and they went all over NZ and Scotland and never let me down once.
I have the Freny mountain boots now and although they are bit heavy and expensive (£200) perform really well. I was up in Scotland last year in deep snow and they stayed warm and dry throughout the trip. Excellent winter/bad weather boot.
I suppose it comes down to personal experience and preference really. ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Canadian army Mk.III boots are a good, durable "mucking about" boot. They're double lined which is a little different than the British army boot which doesn't have the uppers lined. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Anyway, here's a link on Evil Bay.

Cheers,

Adam

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I use Hitech Magnum Elite boots, They are part leather, part fabric and are comfy and toastie, they have a sympatex liner and as such are completely waterproof.

I was put on to them by my brother in law who is a copper.

My last pair have done three years as my work boots and have now been semi retired to become my outdoor playing boots.

Stewey. :D

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Solomon boots fit me amazingly well, i used the pro trek 7 in the caingorms never leaked and was amzingly comfy?

ask yourself if you will be using crampons?
i have a $140 pair of protrek 6 or something or other at the moment suit very good robust travel boot which isn't too heavy for extended use on tarmac.

cheers
graham

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Yesterday I went down to Millets in Paignton and bought a pair of;

Hi-Tec Guanche WP Mens Hiking Boots for £24.99 which was half price.

IMG_0341.jpg

First impressions, they are reasonably flexible, have adequate ankle support and quite a good tread pattern which is shallow and should not clog to easily.

On the front of the boot there is a lip for fitting a Yeti Gaiter on.

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
For what its worth I've had a pair of Scarpa leather boots for over 10 years and they are the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn. Still in good condition after all this time too!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Karrimor KSB walking shoes, for the summer/autum, and US army cold weather boots (Gortex / Thinsulate lined) for wetter, colder weather.

Next time any of you are in London, go to the Lillywhites store in Piccadilly Circus, its now a discount shop, the Karrimor cost me £19.99 back in June, and they had Karrimor Gortex lined boots for £29.99. They must be "seconds" for that money, but I've yet to find a fault with mine :)

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I thank everyone for all their input and suggestions regarding which type of boot is best.

I have made a few notes on where to buy a better pair of boots and other kit from but that will be at a later date.

Trying to re-kit oneself again after several years of being absent from an outdoor life (over 20yrs) is both a daunting and exciting prospect.

I've read several of the articles on here and this forum is a goldmine of information whether your a novice or an expert.

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE