Blueberry Whiskey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Anyone tried it? - I had a sample at a country show a few years back.

Got a bottle brewing in the cupboard just now. - should be ready by mid February.

Atb
Andy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ive got sloe brandy, strawberry vodka and blueberry gin, you tend not to taste the booz as much, but get allot more of the flavour of the fruit.........

i like it allot.........................................................

chris..

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
For those that like this kinda thing beech leaf vodka is a good one - at the oposite end of the year to most others which rely on beries.
Ive dot damson gin, bramble vodka finished at the mo (and some beech)

For those wanting to make a more rather than just kinda mix it up i cant recoment 'hedgerow' wines enough. You do need a suprising amount of fruit but nature is suprisingly generous in that department Mixed berries of elder, black, haw, rowan whatevers about around you (with about 50% being strong dark berries like elder or bramble).

If your a purist though it does take a while to rack them and it seems to stay couudy - i think its the hawthorn but the flavour is still grand!

:)

Never tried a fruit whisky though...

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Beech leaf Vodka sounds interesting :p

How do you make it? Is it just a case of washing beech leaves and leaving them in the Vodka for a couple of months?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Erm - yeah basically - its on a thread here hmm called Neuyer or somethign like it
Get beech elaves when they are really young and still have the downty hair soft and visable - at the same stage they are quite nice in a salad and soft and rather tactile.
Stuff em into a bottle quite tight cover in vodka, make sure leaves dont poke out or they go manky and brown close, shake every few days or when you can be bothered - leave it till its gone a slightly perterbing light brown/orangy yellow colour drain off the leaves. At this point i added sugar to taste - not much though.
I was not convinced at all but after it was aged and i tried it about 6 months after bottling its absolutely great!

a real find and a treat of which i only have about 1/4 a bottle of left now for a special occasion..

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I made up a bottle of Apple and Blackberry brandy last year - Amazing stuff. - bit strong for me but I mixed it with lemonade and it was lovely.

The blueberry whiskey should be good - The one I tried was really very nice!

I'm gutted I missed out on the sloe gin this year, really getting into gin at the moment.

Andy

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
We've got bramble whisky, sloe gin, raspberry vodka, orange zest vodka and blueberry vodka on the go at them moment. Meant to do another batch of cherry vodka.

I like the sound of the beech leaf vodka! I've had young beech leaves like that in suet steamed pud which is nice. Oak leaf wine is supposed to be another good one, which I've always failed to collect the leaves for at the right time. Next year perhaps!

Al

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have made oak leaf wine and it is very, very, very drinkable..........hikk......

quite supprised how easy it was to make to.......

you could do a vodka with it aslo i think......

chris..................................

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
SHMBO likes to make fruit salad vodka.suprisingly there is no fruit in it just a packet of fruit salad chews from the sweet shop. It is actually quite nice.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I second oak leaf wine - although its mainly the other things in it that add the flavour - ginger wine is also ver easy to make very drinkable.
Got an oak leaf wine from 2004 just here...never had the occasion to open it - will be interesting to see if it aged well or badly. Lots of the home brew is best in the first 3 years (not that thee are not exceptions).

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Did you use the recipe from HFW 'A Cook on the Wild Side' or from somewhere else Chris?

Al

hi Al my oak leaf recipe is from my book "The Wild Food Year Book" from country kitchen, its got all sorts in it from wine to game prep etc etc.....

just use the following:-

5 litres or 10 pints of oak leaves (fresh from the tree at the beggining of the year/season)
4.5 litres water
2 lemons
1kg or 2 pounds of sugar (any will do i use normal granulated)
yeast 1-2 tea spoons

method: pick and wash the leaves, drain and place in a large pan, cover with boiling water from the kettle, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins or untill all the flavour and colour has left the leaves. use this as a stock to make your wine, top up with tap water if required. brew as normal...... drink within 1 year for best results.....

this wine tastes great and is very good on a summers day, quite refreshing.....

regards...

chris.......................................

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
hi Al my oak leaf recipe is from my book "The Wild Food Year Book" from country kitchen, its got all sorts in it from wine to game prep etc etc.....

just use the following:-

5 litres or 10 pints of oak leaves (fresh from the tree at the beggining of the year/season)
4.5 litres water
2 lemons
1kg or 2 pounds of sugar (any will do i use normal granulated)
yeast 1-2 tea spoons

method: pick and wash the leaves, drain and place in a large pan, cover with boiling water from the kettle, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins or untill all the flavour and colour has left the leaves. use this as a stock to make your wine, top up with tap water if required. brew as normal...... drink within 1 year for best results.....

this wine tastes great and is very good on a summers day, quite refreshing.....

regards...

chris.......................................

Thanks Chris!

Recipe now saved to my collection. I must make more effort to collect some leaves when they come out next year.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE