blue-green algae....cyanobacteria

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's back on Loch Lomond, and is surely there elsewhere too.
We rarely talk about it, but it seems to be more prevalent in the news. It's toxic enough to cause rashes, vomiting, etc., in people, and it can kill dogs.
Many of the members spend a fair bit of time around water, so it's something to bear in mind, especially as the seasons move along. It's much better avoided.

This site has really clear photos of the stuff, in it's various presentations, from wisps to 'paint-like'

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Anatoxin-A (aka Very Fast Death Factor) produced by some cyanobacteria cannot be filtered out of water. Don't want to be even near a water source with an algae producing it.

Someones experience with in a kayak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Forgot that article mentioned the Gerrish-Chung family.
The final determination of their deaths was confirmed as hyperthermia and dehydration. And not toxins from algae blooms in the area at the time. A 7 hour hike with a single camel bak between 2 adults, an infant and dog in what ended up being a 42C day, in an area of no phone coverage.
Though I still find it odd that their dog also died.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anatoxin-A (aka Very Fast Death Factor) produced by some cyanobacteria cannot be filtered out of water. Don't want to be even near a water source with an algae producing it.

Someones experience with in a kayak.

Good post. The most we ever see of it in terms of warnings is not to let your dog go in the water. I had no idea of how severely toxic it could be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE