blade preservative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I received just today, a new, shiny Enzo blade made out of 01 tool steel. I want to keep this blade from rusting and I was wondering what to use on it. It will, no doubt, be occasionally used for food preparation, and I don't want to use WD-40 on it. I have read several recommendations of olive oil and other cooking oils. But, I have also read that these oils contain fair amounts of acids, which I would like to avoid. No where on the internet could I find the pH of these oils.

I also have read that the Japanese coat their blades with tea seed oil (not to be confused with tea tree oil).

I found one knife maker and one other user who said to use mineral oil and stated that it was close to neutral on the pH scale.

Then I discovered Ballistol which has mineral oil as a base but has other additives. It has been around since before the First World War. There are many people and companies on the internet extolling the virtues of this stuff.

Does anyone out there know anything definitive about this topic? or barring that, have some years of experience with something that has worked well.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I received just today, a new, shiny Enzo blade made out of 01 tool steel. I want to keep this blade from rusting and I was wondering what to use on it. It will, no doubt, be occasionally used for food preparation, and I don't want to use WD-40 on it. I have read several recommendations of olive oil and other cooking oils. But, I have also read that these oils contain fair amounts of acids, which I would like to avoid. No where on the internet could I find the pH of these oils.

I also have read that the Japanese coat their blades with tea seed oil (not to be confused with tea tree oil).

I found one knife maker and one other user who said to use mineral oil and stated that it was close to neutral on the pH scale.

Then I discovered Ballistol which has mineral oil as a base but has other additives. It has been around since before the First World War. There are many people and companies on the internet extolling the virtues of this stuff.

Does anyone out there know anything definitive about this topic? or barring that, have some years of experience with something that has worked well.

Olive oil isn't great for blades, it's true, but sometimes people over state it -- it's not like it'll ruin it immediately.

But there's a better choice: simple corn oil for cooking is generally recommended.

Also, you can use clove oil, which I like for the smell anyway. Over time your sheath will get a really nice -- but very subtle -- scent of cloves.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
I prefer mineral oil. Have used it for a very long time with success. Inexpensive, food safe, easy to apply, available in small quanities, great with leather, and won't go rancid like food based oils will (like corn oil, etc.).

Best choice from where I sit for less than a buck to a buck and a half for enough to last near a life time.

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE