Bivvy bag modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I am looking at modding my military bivi, ie, expanding it as putting a full lenghth zip in.Why? Cause i can only just get in(being rather large and rotund) and hate having to get in like a slug and falling over.In winter i use an issue arctic bag as its big enough.
So i am after someone who can mod it.Do you know anyone with the skills?I have two in perfect condition,so material is not an issue.
I am also looking at sewing a ground sheet on to the bottom of my summer sleeping bag, with an entrance to keep my thermarest in place(for those milder days).
Help or suggestions welcomed!!!(except-hotels or b and b's!)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can get iron on seam tape specially for goretex.

I modded my bag to be wider and fitted a zip as well as, like you, I had difficulties fitting in one. It's no thing of beauty but it does its job and made life a lot easier :rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've "modded" quite a few things, and my advice?
make sure you pay attention to detail!
especially with zips, it's easy to sew the sides un-aligned...I've done it once!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A full length zip is a good plan, but take care with the location of it. Putting it down the centre, whilst being the most convenient location, also is probably the worst for weather tightness- a danger that water will puddle, and get past any fancy double flap arrangement that you put in place. You'd be better off putting it down one side in the same style as the US army bivvy bag. Other mods you could consider are putting in a stowable mossi net across the hood opening, and some copper wire in the bottom half of the drawstring hood area to keep the netting off your face when you use it.

In terms of the idea to sew groundsheet material into the base of your sleeping bag, i'm not sure if you would suffer from condensation. I used to get a bit damp in the days of old when using the 58 sleeping bags that had this built in (although only occasionally- most of the waterproofing had broken down on the ones I used!). Probably would only be an issue if you were using it in a hammock.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Can I just say I have 2 Brit bivi bags not sure of age but one is quite narrow at top, while the other is a lot wider is has like a v shape panel which expands. The other does not now if you can fit in a artic bag then you would easy fit in the larger bivi I have , may be worth checking which one you have.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
How about some loops so you can tie a roll mat to the bottom, stops you slipping or rolling of the mat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE