Bit of recent spoonage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Couple of Sycamore serving / cooking spoons

DSCN4278.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

Eating spoon in Magnolia

DSCN4431.jpg

Spalted Magnolia cooking spoon, bit of an experiment in different techniques this one, and one where after the event i wished i hadn't pratted around with carving the surface of the handle, as i cocked it up, still, we can all be wise after the event i suppose?

DSCN4514.jpg

Sycamore serving spoon / small ladle, this one is a gift for a local farmer.

DSCN4535aa.jpg

Small eating spoon in Magnolia

DSCN4566aa.jpg

All of the above have tooled rather than sanded finishes.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Lovely work there Mark, the magnolia looks really nice :)

Thanks Steve, it's lovely to carve and it smells superb, all citrusy , unfortunately my stock of it is starting to dwindle, although there is one just down the road in a neighbours garden, wonder if they would notice a big bit's gone missing :lmao:

Very nice Mark

Do you carve them green or seasoned?

All done in green wood Rich, The Sycamore was still standing last Thursday

I really like the profile/sideview if the sycamore servingspoon.

Thanks mate, the side view is something ive been working on of late, Ive taken inspiration from people waay better at carving than i am.

Nice work there mate!
Always a pleasure to view!

RM

You can see em for real tomorrow:)

Lovely work there, hope to be as proficient some day.

It's just practice, practice and more practice and then when you have practiced, do some more:)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Excellent as always Kepis. It must be nice having so many different woods to work with, unlike here where birch is about the only option, with the odd bit of poplar. Not that I'm complaining as I'm very happy with having loads of birch!
Out of curiosity, have you any idea how many hundreds (or more) you have carved since your first?:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Excellent as always Kepis. It must be nice having so many different woods to work with, unlike here where birch is about the only option, with the odd bit of poplar. Not that I'm complaining as I'm very happy with having loads of birch!

Birch is a bit rare around here, you can find it and i know where there is a Birch plantation, but as a wild tree it's not too frequent in the immediate area, but yes, im lucky having so many different woods to play with, the wood pile currently has Aspen, Birch, Weeping Willow, Pussy Willow, Alder, Black Poplar, Ash, Cherry, Oak, Sycamore, Box & Hazel.

Out of curiosity, have you any idea how many hundreds (or more) you have carved since your first?:)

I dread to think in all honesty, but i do still have my first ever spoon out in the kitchen :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
A truck load by now I would think;)
Forgot to mention: I too much prefer the tooled look. Sanded spoons, bowls and kuksas just don't look right...
Thanks for the reply:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Having handled the said spoons on a resent bimble I was impressed with the tooled finish.
Nice work Mark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE