Bird ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I've recently spotted a bird that I can't identify, shape and size I would say was a cross between a sandpiper and a snipe, all black on top and wings with a snowy white underside and around the rump???

Your hopefully

Matt.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oystercatcher...

oystercatcher10b.jpg

or female Painted Snipe....

Painted-Snipe_RN-02.jpg

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
Many thanks Jonathan, the painted snipe is looking favourable, it's not an oystercatcher and I've not heard of the painted snipe until now.

regards Matt.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No worries. I can't think of any other possibilities that come close to those two. If it was earlier in the year the juveniles of many snipes and sandpipers would be likely, but not this time of year. Painted snipes are also quite dark and drab around now too, adding even more credence to the possibility.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi Matt,

My first thought is a solitary sandpiper (Tringa solitaria). These can look quite black & white from a distance, have light underwings and a white rump patch. Here in Holland they can be seen most of the year, usually associated with waterbanks. I have no idea how likely it is to encounter these birds in Britain though.

Cheers,

Tom

PS A painted snipe (it's nearest breeding grounds are in Egypt) would be a mega-rarity in Europe!

Last edited:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
What environment were you in when you saw this bird? Size can be difficult to judge too with a bird on it's own...

The Painted Snipe isn't on the British List and it's graded as unlikely to occur here in the wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE