Birchnormus Polypore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
We were ripping up some fence over the forest (it is part of my job, i'm not into wanton vandalism :D ) and i stumbled across this ginormous birch polypore! It measures 37cm across, anyone found anything bigger?

IMAG0224-1.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Biggest polypore (Perenniporia fraxinea) I found caused a large Ash to fall over a road and I had to help sort it out. It was still attached to the stump and I stood on it, it supported all my weight. The tree had a dia of around 1m and the bracket was growing around 3/4 of the circumferance, and sticking out by 30cm!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
That will keep you in plasters for a wee while thats for sure.;) Second thought you sure it was that size when you brought it home,your microwave not got leak by chance,i wouldn't leave it there all night as you might not be able to get in your kitchen in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohh polypore with teeth RUN AWAY RUN AWAY....:AR15firin

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Yup i've had another look at the pic and its definitely a microwave leak thats caused the polypore to get that big, cos as you can see you got a broken seal on the front of the micro:D

I'll get me coat:theyareon

R

rednek

i have found this giant puffball (calvatia gigantea) that was 10" across

but never a polypore that big

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE