Birch & Sycamore Sap Wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last weekend I was gifted a gallon of birch sap and just over a gallon of sycamore sap from a number of trees.

The sap was tapped carefully, hygienically and with respect for the trees used. All the trees have had suitable wooden dowels inserted, stopping any further sap flow. A couple were on my property and the others with knowledge of the land owner.

Most of the sap is being made into separate variations of wine: Birch and Sycamore respectively. I used Roger Phillip’s recipe from his “Wild Food” book which to me sounded like just the recipe needed. Yesterday I strained the chopped up raisins after a week’s fermentation and I’ve put all the strained liquor back into clean demi-johns to finish fermenting. The rest I have drunk straight and I made a little sycamore syrup. Remarkable to say the least!

The only tough task ahead of me now is deciding whether to have fizzy birch and sycamore wine or still when it comes to bottling. The bottles are strong enough. But is my will?

I’ll let you know the results in 6 months time. All the best…hc

In the end I made the birch and the sycamore fizzy.

It was our youngest daughter's 1st birthday last weekend so we had reason to celebrate. We planted her birth tree (hazel) in a wood nearby, drank tea and had a great morning amongst the trees. We had a fire at home to cook up a grand meal on and I washed it all down with a bottle of sycamore sap fizz and a bottle of birch sap fizz. Drinking doesn't get tougher than this!

Both were truly unique in their characteristics and were utterly lovely. I didn't use any chemicals or other nasties to clear them. No need - The clarity was crystal. I only made 10 pints of each, so they are very precious which means they will only come out on very special occasions. I imagine, with time, they will just get better and better. Yum. More next year methinks.

How did all of yours turn out?

Hi hc sounds great.. Just wondering what month can trees be tapped?? Im thinking of giving it a go next year.

Hi Nick. It's variable, but this lot I got the last weekend of March. It probably would have been the same down in Devon (maybe marginally earlier). The rule of thumb is when the buds are just beginning to open, but others on here have other slightly different methods (like doing "test holes"). Unless I'm actually ready to tap, I prefer to minimise any damage. I've also checked on all the trees I tapped and they are in rude health. Can't wait for 2011......hc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE