Birch Polypore / Razor Strop Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Has anyone ever eaten it? I found a haven for them today and I read in a book on medicinal mushrooms that theyre quite tasty at a young age, if a little bitter.
Anyone?

I have eaten birch polypore and have never found it to be particularly tasty, they also tend to be unpleasantly chewy, however if you brew them up and discard the flesh the resulting brew, although not delicious is quite pleasant. I have also been told that this 'brew' is actually very nutritious.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I don`t use it for tinder,because it groves on much bigger tinder source-dead birch.But of course I tried how it works.In thin strips it just burn in flame unlike horse hoof that glows infinity.When I blow out the flame it glowed for short time.as I remember,and died.As for eating,they are ok,but when young,i.e.,when hymenium is not developed.Older they are bitter and some woody taste,and hard to chew.Now I like to use them for stropping.

Mar 12, 2008
Birmingham, UK
I have tried using it as a tinder. Found that it does smolder very well which seems like a great middle stage between spark and tinder. Couldn't manage to blow it to flame though. If you scrape it with a knife it fluffs up really well but does tend to blow away. Have also experimented with pounding a stip of it. This seems to create a more air spaces but keeps it contained.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE