Birch Birl Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
This is a follow on from Salads fabulous Kuksa thread.
I really like the wood his Kuksa is made off.
I know there are loads of Birch trees near us, but most are quite young specimens and I have never seen a decent size burl on them.
Tbh i havent really seriously looked either though :eek:
My questions are: what makes them grow? Beastie infestation, wound? Do they only grow on old Birch? or dead Birch?
How do you harvest them? After felling, or cut them off the living tree? If that, what do you use to seal the wound to prevent infections entering the tree?
Any answers would be much appreciated
Cheers
Ness :)

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
A burl (American English) or bur or burr (British English) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds. A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
kind of, you just need to look out for them, you also need to take them from a tree that will be felled as it will kill the tree, try asking a local tree sergion type dude.......

or you could try and find some on dead fall trees, you could just cut them of as you find them....

hope this helps a bit more..

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE