Birch bark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Josey Wales

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Hello all! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I am wondering about the collection of birchbark for the use of making containers and such...

Would I be correct in saying that you should remove it from the tree whilst it is still green?

Cheers,

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
This is somthing that has come up time and again....

The bark will be in the best condition and easier to work with when taken from a living tree. Taking it from a living tree does not kill the tree as long as the inner bark is left intact, but will disfigure it and leave it vunerable to fungal infection. Where birch grows abundantly, there it always plenty of dead trees and the bark from these is perfectly usable for container making. It may be a bit more difficult to work so make sure you have a fire or some hot water to free up the resins in the bark to make it flexible. If you know of an area of trees that is being felled then this would be the best oppertunity to obtain 'green' bark.....although its a little late in the year to take bark from living or just felled trees.
In summary please please please try and use bark from dead trees or trees recently felled so to avoid unneccesary damage to the forest.
p.s. Pouring hot water on bark on dead trees will loosen it and make it easier to havest!
Hope this helps!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
hot water.... :D great tip bob! - what is the best time to 'harvest' then do you reccon?

I took some off a log thet had been felled for quite a while i guess a couple of weeks ago and i'm sure the hot water would have helped...... still got some reasonable bark though :)

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
g4ghb said:
hot water.... :D great tip bob! - what is the best time to 'harvest' then do you reccon?

I took some off a log thet had been felled for quite a while i guess a couple of weeks ago and i'm sure the hot water would have helped...... still got some reasonable bark though :)

If its from a dead tree....it doesn't matter....its dead! :D
If its living any time when the sap is rising but once again I must say this is a big no no :nono:

When you use hot water to loosen bark (a thermos is ideal for this), make your first cut down the trunk/log and with a wooden wedge and you hands, work a section of bark away and then pour the water in the space between the bark and the trunk......it should practically fall away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE