Birch Bark Knife Sheaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikewilkinson

Apr 28, 2010
Blackrod, Bolton
After deciding that a Leather sheath for my Mora didn't financially make sense (the sheath being more expensive than the knife) I decided to see if there was a more 'crafty' approach to getting a nice looking neck sheath at minimal cost to my self.

A little research on t'internet and I found this:-

http://www.pinewoodforge.com/sheath.making.html

A quick nip down to my local woods and a nice dead birch I'd been keeping an eye on and I had a nice sheet of birch to have a play with. Not quite long enough for my Mora, but long enough to make a neck sheath for my Opinel & Fire steel.

I'm very impressed with the barks ability to 'grip' its contents, I've been able to hold it upside down and shake it quite hard with no slippage.

Next project then is to find a piece big enough for the Mora- I might add a bit of wood down the blade side just for added protection, not sure yet.

I would attach Photos if I knew how - do I need an online photo repository?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have an iron age style knife that was made for me by Jon, a Danish archeometallurgist, and he made a sheath just like that one for it :D It works very well indeed :approve:

For the Mora how about one of these ? Try it out in cardboard first and then keep your eyes open for someone dumping an old leather suite and get a bit off the back :D

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knifesheath.html

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have made lots of sheaths like Dell's there instructions in Wille Sundqvist's spoonscarving book (and Dell and I both learned carving from Wille Sundqvist)
They work really well and take seconds to make. I really like the idea of using waxed cardboard cartons as a substitute for birch bark, I can think of a few projects that might work on. These are a few of the pics from Dell's instructions, his whole site is worth checking out and he makes great knives.

fini.JPG

fold.JPG

lace2.JPG

lace4.JPG

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
forestwalker. Amazing. Any idea, where I can find such weaving patterns?
Duncan: I used leather (4-5mm) for the spacer, but IMHO thick bark can be used as well.
Dying the birch bark is a challenge. It is soaked with natural oil, and surface hardly accepts any dyes.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
forestwalker. Amazing. Any idea, where I can find such weaving patterns?

Is is the normal baketweave pattern. Start with (asymetrically!) folded pieces in the bottom "V", then keep going until it is long enough, double the whole thing (i.e. continue back down). I added a piece of birch bark on the inside to protect the weaving from the edge, and added a belt loop made from a strip of thin leather (simply follow a strip of bark for a few turns, and friction will hold it in place; that is the dark strips in the picture).

I don't have any birch bark handy that would work for this, but I could make a new one from milk carton material and take pictures. The knife is the short bladed Mora carving knife; the trick is knowing how many strips of what width is needed for a particular knife.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Is is the normal baketweave pattern. Start with (asymetrically!) folded pieces in the bottom "V", then keep going until it is long enough, double the whole thing (i.e. continue back down). I added a piece of birch bark on the inside to protect the weaving from the edge, and added a belt loop made from a strip of thin leather (simply follow a strip of bark for a few turns, and friction will hold it in place; that is the dark strips in the picture).

I don't have any birch bark handy that would work for this, but I could make a new one from milk carton material and take pictures. The knife is the short bladed Mora carving knife; the trick is knowing how many strips of what width is needed for a particular knife.

Thanks Mate! No need... Now it is clear. I will experiment with color magazines paper, and then try with the birch bark. I'm dreaming of the woven birch bark cover for my Moleskine.
I have "harvested" nice sheet this weekend :)
DSC04044.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/bialoleczanin/DIY?feat=directlink
PS: the birch bark was collected from fallen tree.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE