Birch Bark Containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So I am going to start making some of these. I managed to peel a LARGE volume of birch bark from a fallen live tree, so I figured I would start making something out of it rather than reducing it to tar.

Any suggestions? So far I have a tote bag type of thing in mind.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
depends how big bits you got, you can make traditional gathering baskets and things from it. for the smaller bits how about some box's, match box? butter box? pen pot for work?

you could push the boat out and make a miniature canoe, or how about a brimmed hat. do you do archery? howabout a quiver?

any left over scraps can be used for a stacked knife handle

http://youtu.be/BrLRo8VuTcM

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Look for birch bark coffee …..there were some excellent tutorials a few years ago on making these coffee canister shaped pots. Beautiful work in them :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
error 101 on that link I'm afraid.

I've woven birch bark, it's lovely stuff, but it's blooming hard to get it tight/tight, iimmc. It's naturally curved, so even though it can be pressed flat, it doesn't really want to be flat. Thin layers are more easily shaped, and they ply up very well too. It's a bit of a juggle to work around the lenticles at times though.

Interested to see what you make from your bounty :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Canadian birch bark is beautiful :D It's almost like leather. Ours is inclined to be full of fissures and it splits. We don't get the deep long cold that thickens the bark the same way that continents do.

M

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Well the bark is reasonably thin, its like flimsy leather as it is. I've peeled off the outer bark which has left me with a bark a few mm's thick. Took me the better part of Sunday afternoon to strip it down. I've woven willow baskets before, so I am hoping that its similar in process, just that it will be a bit more pliable.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So weaving it is no issue...did a few place mats with a rattan edge. So now I know I can weave it ok I'll be making a start on some pots and the like.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a gift copy of Ellsworth Jaeger's "Wildwood Wisdom." (1945) ISBN-13: 978-0-936070-12-4
Mine is the 1992 reprint from Shelter Publications.

Chapter 13 is 21 pages of diagrams and instructions for spoons, cups, bowls, haversack, even a kettle!
You might inquire at your local library for an interlibrary loan.

Joe's suggestion to soak the bark in hot water is a good one. Much easier to work with, even if the bark
isn't quite like that from our Paper Birch. Might try something if spring ever comes.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Well the bark I have is about 2mm thick. Isn't massive but it's plyable. I was able to knock up 4 place mats in about 2 hours, getting quicker with each one. I ended up using clothes pegs to hold things in place but hey it works. I

I may have a few circular shapes made so I can weave some cups or holders and go from there. It's good material when stripped properly.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Robson Valley said:

I have a gift copy of Ellsworth Jaeger's "Wildwood Wisdom." (1945) ISBN-13: 978-0-936070-12-4

+1 on this. Its a great fun book to dip into time and again. The paperback is well worth it. I got it as an xmas present having heard about it on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE