Big Rucksacks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Hi all

I've been searching the forums and reading peoples views on the various large rucksacks, that is mainly the Snugpak Bergan and Karrimor Sabre 75.

Now, I'll find the funds for the Karrimor if it's that good but there seems to be a few people who have "upgraded" from the Snugpak to the Karrimor and I wondered if people have found it worth the extra money?

I guess there are also the other Karrimors to consider as well as the PLCE Bergan and the Berghaus Cyclops. Don't seem to see so much said about them though. Not sure about the extra weight and hassel that adjustable back systems bring either.

Anybody got any comments? I've been trying to decide for weeks now :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Berghaus Vulcan for me.

But then that's it. The only way you will know is by sticking some weight in them and trying them on.

That's why I still have a battered old Macpac when I go on long trips, it's just so comfy.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I'd say get an ex army PLCE bergan - cheap as chips on E-Bay grade 1 ex issue is excellant value for money - ignore the DPM whining theyre best value for money. The WebTex ones arent quite so hard wearing but Ive been humping one for a year or so and I cant fault it. 120Lt is as much as I ever want to put on my back & if that seems too much then drop off the side pouches and youre down to 80 (70 really without the top extension pulled out) a few useful pockets on the outside and a place for a camelback or platypus bladder.

Cheers
Nick

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Sorry mate, didn't see you were after other ideas there.. saw "Sabre 75" and missed the rest :eek:

I've got a few ruck sacks (order I purchased them):
PLCE Bergan
Karrimor Panther 75
Karrimor Sabre 45

The Bergan is massive.. if you want to carry lots of stuff then it will certainly get in there.
Personally, I found it really uncomfortable to carry for a long time.
It was "cheap as chips" off eBay and came with the pockets and yoke, so it was a great buy at the time.

Then I picked up the Panther 75 ( Can't seem to find a link to them anywhere, must be discontinued ). Which was much more comfortable for me, the straps were great and didn't seem to dig in as much, the waist belt was much more substantial and carried the load really well.

I still needed a smaller bag though... when you have a big one you seem to stuff it with things regardless of how discipled you are! :)

The Sabre 45 is the one i use all the time now (actually my friend & brother are borrowing the other 2 indefinitely now).
If i need a bit more room then i strap on the PLCE side pockets and that's everything i need.
The 45 has all the good strap bits from the Panther (apart from adjustable back) and suits my needs just fine now :)

I'd assume the bigger Sabre would be equally as good, but I haven't got one.

Hope that helps mate, good luck on getting one.

Cheers
Carlo

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The Sabre 45 is more of a large daypack if you ask me. The 75 has a much better back and belt system. I have both...

Check out some of my comments on my pictures in my gallery:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1713

45 and 75 size cpmparisons on page 1, 75 mini reviews on page 2.

The 75 is a great ruck that I have been using for a while now. The only problem for me, is that I could do with an extra couple of inches in the back length, and for that reason I will get the 60/100 or the next one up to give me the adjustable back.
PLCE side pouches fit, or buy the Karrimor ones for about the same price.

Hope this helps.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Thanks for all the comments.

Thanks for the links Spacemonkey, I'd seen the pics before but despite searching I don't remember seeing that particular thread :eek:

Looks like I've got to find somewhere with a Sabre 75 in stock now then.

I'll speak to John Bull and Penrith Survival soon.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE