big handled knife advice for dodgy hand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merlyn_f

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 14, 2006
Todmorden
I am on the hunt for a knife with a long and wide handle for general camp/bushcraft use.

I have a knackered tendon in my hand (repetitive strain from too much motorbike riding in one go). After gripping for a while my hand swells up and it gets quite painful to carry on using it.

I have a course to go on soon, and don't really have a knife that i can use comfortably for 7 days. The plan was to get a custom made up, but it's all getting a bit late as i leave on the 20th Sep.

Could anyone offer advice as to a fixed blade that would fit the bill.

I would really appreciate it!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the course is a bushcraft one where you will be supplied with a knife, then it will almost certainly be a Frost's Mora. It's a very good knife and it actually fits most people very well.
There are times I ache, rheumatoid arthritis, and I have small, not tiny and not weak, hands. I find the mora just too big for long term use, you may well find it ideal..........besides they won't break the bank :D

Time seems to be an issue so commissioning one from one of the Makers here on BcUK, like Leon_1, Chris Claycombe, Jojo, (sorry folks too many good ones to name, no offence intended by ommission) or on BB, is probably unlikely before you go, though you could ask.
I do know that I personally find Helle and Bruseletto knives very comfortable to use, kind of rounded slightly chunky handles, and a friend who endures carpel tunnel problems loves them too.

Bound to be a popular thread for replies, everyone has an opinion on knives :D

Best of luck finding what you need and with the course.

cheers,
Toddy

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I (briefly) had a Shing bushcraft knife that was handled by Shinken. A lovely, big, solid knife, but the handle was far too large for me. It might be worth looking for an example of one of those.

i would check your School allows you to use your own Sharps on the course many dont and supply them so you can only use their kit for cutting
i guess it removes a lot of PC and HSE stuff :rolleyes:
and more practically ensures they know the kit is capable of what they want you to do

on another note i see Frosts have released the Clipper with a Larger handle

ATB

Duncan

I have the same problem with my right hand , swells up and is painful when i use it , I made myself a smaller knife which i can use without problems I found using a smaller blade helped and it does everything I need it to do, If you do go down the road of having a knife made you can make a mock up at home to try and send that to the maker its one of the best things about having a knife made for you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE