best way to cook jews ear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
hi guys i have got a bumper crop of jews ear and was wondering what are the best ( or your favourite ) ways of prep and cooking them ????

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
DON'T FRY THEM WHOLE they bubble up and go bang.

With a large crop, pick them all together. Dry them then crush them up. They can be added to soups. I cant say I have noticed much in the way of flavour, but drying does give them a bit a taste. The dried mushrooms can keep for a long time. And are a very light and compact form of protein. They are really very common so dont worry about being greedy in what you forage.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
John
GF & I picked some last weekend while winching out of the bottom of gully in the Landrover. Took them home sliced them up and stuck them in a pan with butter.

As Xylaria says they bubble up and pop if you don't cut them up fine, it was quite entertaining watching them jump out of the pan :lmao:

Didn't think they had much taste really so we put them in a sauce with our roast chicken. They wouldn't be my first choice but if it's all you can find!!! :rolleyes:

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I've picked a few in the past, and they are pretty bland.

Also tried the frying option to discover their like bigger versions of popcorn!

My biggest gripe though is that most of the ones I pick (like other wild mushrooms I find) seem to be infested with bugs/maggots etc....

I guess their edible, but does anyone know how pick them before they are infested.

Or is it just timing!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Alex... said:
My biggest gripe though is that most of the ones I pick (like other wild mushrooms I find) seem to be infested with bugs/maggots etc....

I guess their edible, but does anyone know how pick them before they are infested.

Or is it just timing!

The biggest baine of wild food. The one and only time I have ever hurled on fungi was I had got down to the bottom of a soup of fairy rings. Tasted delicious but the last centimetre was just maggots. :aargh4:

Earlier in the season and dry weather seem to make infestation less likely. With Ear fungus look for it growing off the ground on Elder, this seem to provide some protection( it's the fairies ;) ) There is some species that are always maggoty in certain locations yet can be completly free when growing some where else.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Drying them kills off most of the wildlife in them. I have dried boletes and at the end you can see some dead little worms which have fallen out of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE