Best way to catch a fish on the beach?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
What do you think would be the most reliable way of catching a fish (any edible fish) on the beach?
I'll probably have a 12ft telescopic rod, I was thinking maybe using a float and weight with several hooks in between at different depth to maximize my chances of getting a bite.

James.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
most reliable way of catching a fish.....
.....maximize my chances.......

James.

And thereby hangs the rub.
To reliably obtain fish - buy it from a fishmonger - they have several trawlers operating in their name and are committed to selling the catch on.

However to maximise your chances of getting a bite on rod and tackle, you not only have to know what bait will entice your prey, but also know where your intended species are most likely to be and a what time they feed. A little local knowledge can go a very long way.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
What do you think would be the most reliable way of catching a fish (any edible fish) on the beach?

James.

What I think, is for you to put in a lonnnnng time learning the tackle and tactics which have proven suitable for your area .

Be assured, that the only person likely to catch anything by complete chance, is well reported in all the angling press , as being a particularly annoying 12 year old who, with his Grandads gear, has travelled all over the coast for 40 years, busting all records of catch weight and species!

And,what I know is that you must make a point that, in the planning your expeditions ; that you actually go, at least one day before you had intended.....for ,as anyone will tell you, the most regularly repeated drivel that you hear on the beach is, " Nah, nothing doing today, but you should have been here yesterday".

Ceeg

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
However to maximise your chances of getting a bite on rod and tackle, you not only have to know what bait will entice your prey, but also know where your intended species are most likely to be and a what time they feed.

Ok, so providing I use the right bait and cast in the right place do you think having several hooks on the line will improve my chances much?

What about with a few different baits?

Or would I just be best off learning to fish normally and using a 2 hook rig or something? I was going to do that to start with anyway, seen as I live 30 metres from the beach.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Or would I just be best off learning to fish normally and using a 2 hook rig or something? I was going to do that to start with anyway, seen as I live 30 metres from the beach.

If you live just 30 metres from the beach start off normally and experiment with diffrent rigs. After all you won't be wasting time travelling to the beach so you'll have plenty of time out there.

Another thing is speak to any anglers that you see on the beach and ask them what sort of rigs and baits they're using there.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Another thing is speak to any anglers that you see on the beach and ask them what sort of rigs and baits they're using there.

There are plenty people fishing on the beach near me, mostly night fishing. I just came back from a little walk along the beach and there's a couple of guys down there now.

I met someone at an air rifle club near me who goes fishing on the beach by my house, he said he catches bigger fish there than anywhere else along the coast! So hopefully I shouldn't have too much trouble catching an average one.

Looks like I'll be going to the tackle shop soon :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
James,

If you're new to sea fishing I'd recommend fishing from some rocks preferably with a safe platform to stand on. Put all tackle/clothes etc you're not using higher up the rocks behind you and that way if a rogue wave comes in it won't swamp your kit or worse still wash it away off the rocks.
Float fishing and spinning with a small spinner are your best bet this time of year. The summer species such as mackerel, pollock, garfish and bass are all about now and float fishing or spinning will catch all these species and they are all edible.
If you float fish use light tackle and line it's much more fun fighting a fish on light tackle and the trace and bait will look more natural in the water than if you're using 30lb line. Use about 8lb line on your reel.
It's about hedging your bets, and the best bait to catch mackerel, pollock and gars is a thin strip of mackerel (belly flesh peferably as it's white and is more attractive to the fish as it resembles the small fry they're looking for.) or a thin strip of squid flesh. Cut into an elongated triangular shape no more than a centimetre in width tapering to a point and about an inch long. If you're not catching change the depth of the float. Gars especially feed near the surface so go about 4ft deep to start with.
Thread the tackle for a float in the following order. Stop knot (or simply tie on a rubber band.) This sets the depth of the float. bead, float, bead, weight, swivel (2way) 18inches of trace line, hook. (small aberdeen pattern is best). Hook the bait strip once only at the wide end of the strip. Cast in different places and change the depth of the float if you're not catching, simply slide the rubber band up the line a little higher to get extra depth.
Spinning, use a dexter wedge, small Yann spinner, Nordic herring, or Viva parade. All the mentioned fish will take these spinners, and they all cast well. Try Veals. They'll have everything you'll need and will give you advice if you call them. Excellent company. (no connection etc just a very satisfied customer)
The chaps you saw were probably beach casting from the beach which is a whole different kettle of........................erm............fish :) :rolleyes: and requires more substantial tackle, rods and reels
That's my advice and if you need to know anything just ask.

Wrasse can alo be caught close in from the rocks but arn't great eating and you'll need rag worm to catch them. Great sport but not so great if you're after a meal. Pouting are also easy to catch from the rocks but again rag worms are the best bait. They deteriorate very quickly so cook asap. With all the fish keep them under a damp towel if it's a hot day (fat chance this year :puppy_dog )

Tight lines.

Hi from a new member.

As mentioned above, most people start sea fishing with a spinning rod off rocks and piers for mackerel, pollack, etc. Since you have a 12ft rod and want to fish on a beach I would aim at the flatfish species such as flounder and plaice. You will need some bait, preferably lugworm if you can dig it at low tide, or some mackerel (or both!). If you visit any tackle shop they should have ready-made rigs and you are looking for a 2 or 3-hook flapper with hooks size 1 or 2. And some weight that the rod can handle (it should say on it). Bait the hooks, cast out into the surf and let the baits roll around then fingers crossed! Flatties can generally be more abundant where streams or rivers come into the sea on the beach.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE