Best viking beard competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod

On a new journey
This is the kind of bushcraft we want!

rowan.jpg

;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Did Vikings have beards?

Do we have evidence for how they wore their beards, short,long.braided?

I don't remember seeing viking razors.

Isn't that the evidence for vikings having beards....? No razors so no shaving unless they were real men and plucked their beards

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The Celts certainly were into this dispicable business of Male grooming (TM) and had razors, so I think many of them were beardless

Cant say for the vikings

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Did Vikings have beards?

Do we have evidence for how they wore their beards, short,long.braided?

I don't remember seeing viking razors.

Picture stones, wood carvings and written history suggests bearded men in the viking era, as it suggests that they were shaved pre viking era (f.ex. romans). Not only vikings had beards though.
But did all the vikings/late iron age men have beards?
Razors from the viking age have been found, as is razors from earlier times. These were made of bronze. The one on the picture below is from the bronze age but iron/viking age ones have the same shape.

Emne__barberh_vlene__58352a.jpg

It is also important to have a well groomed hair and beard if you`re a viking. You wouldn`t look like a savage would you? I think there is a passage in the younger Edda about the importance of grooming your hair and beard ( and it is written someplace that the viking men were more popular among the english women than the english themeselves just because they combed their hair and beards:) ).

Tor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE