Best techniques for twisting cordage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Having recently found I can use self made cordage for the bow drill my interest in making cordage has returned. I have found useful fibre in a number of plants - including phormium (garden plant, New Zealand flax), buddliea, and more European plants such as bramble, nettle and wild rose. I have got a long way to go working out/ learning the best methods to extract the fibres, but it is the actual twisting I want to get right at this point.

I have the general idea, and a basic technique, twisting two strands with my fingers. However, it can take an hour or so to make a yard of cordage. What are the quickest ways? How can you avoid getting the strands tangled? Somewhere in the back of my memory is an image of long hanging aids with some sort of fly wheel arrangement to allow the twisting to be fast and efficient. Anyone know about this?

I have tried leg rolling a couple of times but didn't seem to get the hang of it. Any advice there?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy!
I've not actually made cordage, just messed around with twisting long grass and the like into a string, but here goes...
The method I found most useful was one described on Ray Mears Bushcraft (Four Seasons ep) where he twisted the fibres around the middle of the length until it kinked and made a little loop. Then just twist from there to get a two-strand string. I hope that explains it OK, if not, try to catch that episode? I think it's still on UKTV G2 sometimes.
If you're looking for some rig to twist it quickly, I'd suggest having a wheel opposite a post, the post with a metal hook in it, the wheel with something to tie the string to. Kink the fibres as described above , put the loop over the hook, tie the other ends to the wheel and spin away. Dunno if it'd work, but it sounds plausible :D
Hope this helps, though I'm really just speculating here... :rolleyes:
Pete

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I think practise is what will get you there. I am by no means particulary fast, but I can make a sinew bowstring in about 3 hours. And thinner, lower quality strings a lot quicker. Splice whenever you need, better with many small strands than many big.

Nettle is quite easy to work with, but when making longer strands a spindle with a flywheel makes life easier. Otherwise the string will countertwist and seperate if you don't pay attention all the time.

I haven't used braiding that much, but it will provide a stronger string without any stretch in it.

Torjus Gaaren

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Draven said:
The method I found most useful was one described on Ray Mears Bushcraft (Four Seasons ep) where he twisted the fibres around the middle of the length until it kinked and made a little loop. Then just twist from there to get a two-strand string.

If you're looking for some rig to twist it quickly, I'd suggest having a wheel opposite a post, the post with a metal hook in it, the wheel with something to tie the string to. Kink the fibres as described above , put the loop over the hook, tie the other ends to the wheel and spin away.

Hi Pete,

I saw same RM episode and im sure its described in Bushcraft - but i'm sure the methods is to twist the individual strands in the same directions as you join the strands in a twist ( if you know what i mean ) - using a wheel wouldn't create the same twist would it ( to the individual strands ) ??

anyone know what im talking about ?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oh boy.

I too have tried the thigh rolling method and it just does not work for me either.

I personally favour the twist-by-hand method which though slow gives very good results when using coarser natural fibres. The pictures of hand positions in the link below are only so-so, could have been clearer. With this technique I can sit and watch TV, or something, and twist away. There is no limit to the length of cord you can make, and you can work straight from the raw fibre with no pre-spinning into single ply threads.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=183

It is possible to get two bundles of threads, hang them on a hook and attach weights to them, spin the weights independently (say counter clockwise) to twist the bundle of threads, then spin the the weights as a pair, clockwise. The problem is that as the weights go around each other, the clockwise obital spin is also working to undo the anti-clockwise twist in the two bundles. Unless you are controling the two weights, and putting the anti-clockwise twist back into the two bundles, you will end up with a rather loosely twisted two ply cord.

You may have noticed I was talking about a bundle of threads, not fibres. This is because it is difficult to get fibres long enough to use the above technique, and it is even harder to splice new fibres into the bundles. One is getting into the realms of real rope/cord making where fibres are heavily refined, (imagine nettle with no green lumpy bits at all, just lots of long whitish fibres). These are then spun into a single ply thread using a wheel, drop spindle or a lash-up with a power drill or similar.
http://www.handspinning.com/lollipops/spininst.htm
Having got the threads, these are then used to build bigger cords through revers twisting. The only way to stop tangles on long runs is to have the thread on spools and have the spools spinning around one another. All a bit involved for bow-drill cord, but possibly worth it for a bow string.

The Traditional Bowyer's bible Vol2 has some good stuff on string making, if you happen across it.

Sorry not to be able to give a really good answer to how to speed your process up. :eek:

Fred

Apr 29, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi - just to point you in the direction of a technological solution - Ray Mears' Bushcraft Survival Series 1 DVD (2nd disc) has extras describing EXACTLY how to twist nettle fibre into cord using your thigh to roll them. I won't spoil your surprise at how easy this is...just rent / buy and enjoy! Also on the DVD is how to sharpen your knife. Two very useful extras not transmitted. Here's one example of video proving much better than book . I'd been struggling for ages with this one!

hope this helps

Fred

p.s. i tried rosebay willowherb too - the more you succeed on more difficult fibres, the more stuff like nettles become a doddle...and don't forget hemp if you know any 'budding' horticulturalists out there! ;)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
loz. said:
Hi Pete,

I saw same RM episode and im sure its described in Bushcraft - but i'm sure the methods is to twist the individual strands in the same directions as you join the strands in a twist ( if you know what i mean ) - using a wheel wouldn't create the same twist would it ( to the individual strands ) ??

anyone know what im talking about ?
Ah, didn't think of that, you're right ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Check out the Richard Graves book online, The Ten Bushcraft Books. It shows various ways to make cordage, including some complicated looking thing used by a group to make large sized grass rope quickly.

Check it out here!

I hope this helps!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cordage is pretty straightforward, twist however many strands to the same tension with either an S or a Z twist and then allow them to run together in the opposite twist.

If you're doing a lot of it make up a board with swivel hooks on it (the spinners fishermen use work well enough for fine stuff) Fastent he board securely to something and then tie two, three, whatever ply you're after, ends of bunches of fibres to the hooks. Simply twist all of the bundles in the same direction and as you walk backwards away from the hooks the bundles begin to roll together into a ply.

Production ropemakers work the other way around; one man feeds the fibres lengths while walking backwards away from the hooks and another turns a handle that twists the beam/plank that hold the hooks and puts the spin into the fibres. To let the individual bunches run together smoothly a crown is used. This is a carved piece of wood, like a kind of plug with equidistant notches/grooves running down the sides, that is held in the middle of the rope that's being made and slowly worked backwards as the ply bites in. A four ply rope always need a centre line, called the heart , to keep the plies evenly spaced.

Personally I find taking a boot off and starting the cordage (either thigh rolled or finger twisted) then holding the finished part between my toes allows me to have both hands free to twist the cords. Gently ease the grip of your toes and the cords will twist themselves nicely into a stable ply :D

I do like Richard Graves books, I sent to Australia to buy his ropes and cordage one years ago after it was recommended by an old family friend.

atb,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe his TBB were put together to form the book Bushcraft: A serious guide to survival and camping. Is this fact, or where there other things added? It is a good book, I picked mine up with slight water damage for 6 quid or so, a bargain I think!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE