best sized opinel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The 7's not too bad either, I suppose. A little bit smaller than the 8, but not by much. But for my two cents, I can't stand Opinels. I hope I don't get shunned for saying that!

Adam

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
addyb said:
The 7's not too bad either, I suppose. A little bit smaller than the 8, but not by much. But for my two cents, I can't stand Opinels. I hope I don't get shunned for saying that!

Adam
I'd be interested to know why you don't like them. I have a 6 and like it as its convenient, cheap and keeps a fair edge for all round everyday use. :)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I have a 6. It doesn't take up to much room in my pocket and doen't look too scary. It's big enough for day to day box opening, pencil sharpening and food prep and whittling. I don't consider it a replacement for a fixed blade when I'm out and about.

I had a 10 but that really is a thug of a knife.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It is very easy to find the right sized one. Grab a ruler in your hand and make a fist aroun it. Measure how big your hand is across using this technique and then get the knife which is just a little bigger.
A few mm here or there makes little difference in a blade but can make a big difference to the handle.

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
A number 8 with the blade and handle shortened and shaped. That way you get the shortness (and non-threatening look) of a #6 with the blade stoutness of a #8.

On this one (poor pic), I shortened the handle to the point where the slot the blade fits into ran all the way out the end so I reinforced it with a piece of metal pinned in.

insert_2.jpg

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Believe it or not I think a no 9 works well (assuming you don't mind breaking the rediculous standard law in the uk :rant: ). although you can usually only find them in France and they're not (generally) exported. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me.....must get one next time I'm there....oh...that'd be May when I'm canoeing down the Ardeche!!! :D

EDIT: I lie....look what I just found! here

Phil

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
PhilParry said:
Believe it or not I think a no 9 works well (assuming you don't mind breaking the rediculous standard law in the uk :rant: ). although you can usually only find them in France and they're not (generally) exported. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me.....must get one next time I'm there....oh...that'd be May when I'm canoeing down the Ardeche!!! :D

EDIT: I lie....look what I just found! here

Phil

Axminster Power Tools is a lot cheaper although not as cheap as they are in France.

It is a number 8 for me and I cannot think what there is not to like about an Opi!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have a no 8. i have reshaped the blade too, it looks less aggressive, and I think the tip is stronger as well, I don t carry it much due to the locking blade. I have a SAK Soldier, got it as aXmas present, and I carry it all the time

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Yes my Opi is not my EDC which is leatherman juice xe6 (just a shame about the colour), or if I am feeling brave a Spydie UKPK dew to the UK carry laws but It is always in my pocket when I am walking and often use it rather than which ever fixed blade I am carrying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE