Best Dutch Oven meal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Hey relin, have you got any more details, especially on the Sri Lankan slow cooked curries goodjob

I will write up the recipe and list how to do the variations. My wife lived there for a while and we did a cookery course while on a visit so i wrote down the recipes, perfect for a one pot wonder! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My best Dutch oven recipes have come from "Potjiekos" by Me Natalle.
This even has a recipe for cooking a whole Elephant!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We had a Scout camp a few years ago where all the Leaders meals were cooked in DO's...more info here. EDIT:Soppy bugger that I am, I just reread this thread & the final post was from Drew. Brought a lump to my throat.

We also did some stacked DO's at the Tamarack Tribe Rendezvous last year. Lasagne, garlic and rosemary bread followed by apple & cinnamon crumble...
dd88f849d6353fe0556541f36b9ddeac_zps0eaf47f2.jpg

The garlic & rosemary bread...
9ddeb04c7be1ea3f660e6625e8607acd_zps9795d77b.jpg

Last edited:

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Hey relin, have you got any more details, especially on the Sri Lankan slow cooked curries goodjob

Took me a while but as promised i finally have got round to starting to write up some recipes, they are in the form of a blog on the Bear Blades facebook page, feel free to have a read, the Sri Lankan one was posted this morning, last week i posted up my Jamaican wrap recipe too :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bear-Blades/592148307535683?fref=ts

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
My favourite group meal has been MartinK9's and Cliff's Roast lamb that I have had several times. The best solo cook one I have done was a beef stew involving lots of veg a can of Bass and a can of Guiness and a glass of red wine, not put in all together but at different points of the cooking. The whole thing lasted several meals and I kept in a slow heat for a day :) made me happy. With thinking about DO cooking, I think i will have to get mine out again this weekend :)

stews n chilli etc are staple but i always like to do a roast of some sort when out

fav is whole lamb shoulder very slow roast till it melts of the bone with Fresh rosemary and Garlic on top of some veg to keep it of the bottom and make the Port (half bottle) Gravy with the juices add in a Zebra 16cm Billy to boil up some mixed root veg ruff mashed and plain (lamb is rich enough)

slow cook is best as you cant really cock it up good 1/2 Hr hot sizzle on high then lift it up and a few embers etc on top and leave for 3-5hrs ish
pretty sure these photos are up on here several times but hey

wood mark 9 for 1/2hr

wood mark 2 for 3-5hrs ish

rest

make the Port gravy

also Like Roast chicken either 2-4 Poussin (Whole baby chicken 1 each) with roast potatoes carrots etc under the birds or a full sized bird spatchcocked to fit and Fat chips etc

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE