Best Buy Dehydrator..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looking to buy a food dehydrator but only want to spend between £30 - 60
Any thoughts or recommendations on which is the best to get for the money..?

Cheers
Greg

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Andrew James user too; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-Ja...=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item565f95cf3b

This is the bigger model. Been on the go for nearly a year now with no issues. I wanted an Excalibur but they were a bit spendy for me at the time so I tried this one to see. Not been disappointed.

The smaller ones just don't do enough at one time for my use. I use rice paper for fruit leather, it dries out quicker and is obviously edible.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Andrew James user too; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-Ja...=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item565f95cf3b

This is the bigger model. Been on the go for nearly a year now with no issues. I wanted an Excalibur but they were a bit spendy for me at the time so I tried this one to see. Not been disappointed.

The smaller ones just don't do enough at one time for my use. I use rice paper for fruit leather, it dries out quicker and is obviously edible.

Ahh..now you've thrown a spanner in my preverbial works.... :)
Guess I'll have to check this one out...does look alot bigger than the other...and within my budget too...:thinkerg:
:Thinkingo.......:coffee:.....:ok:....Going to go for this one now :why:......:rolleyes:...Thanks....goodjob

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Already looked at that one..and besides Teepee has made my mind up for me.
Thanks for your input though..much appreciated...by the way jerky is nice when left in a good marinade for 24hrs before being dried ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I've a couple of the Westphalia driers which work fine but the motor is playing up on one (been used a lot for five or six years so can't complain) and I've been thinking of getting the one you linked to...I'll buy it now as its come recommended :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Already looked at that one..and besides Teepee has made my mind up for me.
Thanks for your input though..much appreciated...by the way jerky is nice when left in a good marinade for 24hrs before being dried ;)

What marinade are you using Greg? Have you tried sherry and smoked paprika?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think I'd have gone for the big one too, if I had known about it.
I kept messing around with different marinades, involving worcstershire sauce and spices and it always came out bloody awful. Dog liked it though!
A bottle of Liquid Smoke, made a very nice batch though...:D

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ahh..now you've thrown a spanner in my preverbial works.... :)
Guess I'll have to check this one out...does look alot bigger than the other...and within my budget too...:thinkerg:
:Thinkingo.......:coffee:.....:ok:....Going to go for this one now :why:......:rolleyes:...Thanks....goodjob

You can always count on me to complicate things. :) Hope you get on with it Greg. The temps on mine are a bit lower than set to but I just give it 5 more degrees F. FWIW, I've never run it at full heat, I think it's too hot for the food, especially veg and it will just shorten it's life.

I've a couple of the Westphalia driers which work fine but the motor is playing up on one (been used a lot for five or six years so can't complain) and I've been thinking of getting the one you linked to...I'll buy it now as its come recommended :)

That's good service Rik, I'll be happy if mine lasts that long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE