Best Boots for UK use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Barry Smith

Hi

I have worn a pair of Berghaus Storm Goretex boots for the last 9 years and they have served me really well. They are coming to the end of their life now and are up for replacement.

I may just do a like for like replacement but also want to consider other boots that might be better. I use them for walking, fishing and bushcraft.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I will spend up to £100

Thanks

Barry

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sounds a flippant reply but it is not meant to be!!

the BEST boots bar none are those that FIT PROPERLY! ;)

...... you can have the most technical boots in the world and if they don't suit your feet they'll cripple you!

having said that I had a pair of storms till they died, replaced them with a pair of solomans (trek 6's i think) and although v light they have performed brilliantly in all but 'full winter' conditions! - i love em :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
horses for courses.

I've got odd(ish) feet s oI find it hard to get good boots. Lowa are good, but now itend t ofavour Altberg as they will shape them for me. Helps that my folks live round the corner from the factory.

Some outdoor shops also do minor boot reshaping - worth seeking out

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Must agree with g4ghb. The best boots are those that fit. I have been through several pairs recently including ksbs and brashers, all bought on reccomendations from other people. None really worked out too well when it came to comfort!!
Try on loads of different boots and make the sales staff earn their money.
My current favourites are a pair of zamberlan. Good fitting boot (for my feet) in leather. Take care of them and they will be good long term allies!! ;)

leon-1

My current pair of favoured boots is a set of Lowa Renegades, I would say though that If you buy a set try them on and have a little wander in them first.

I have a wide fitting for my feet so normally I can feel a little pinched, I normally take an 8.5 or size 9. I tried a set in store (I was in Ambleside) they fitted really well, but it took three attempts to get the right size so try before you buy.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've heard a lot about the quality of berghaus boots going down

I use brashers which work well and fit my feet (wide for the size) but the soles look like they'd wear out fast if used a lot

M

magicaltrevor

It might be worth going to your local Field and Trek (or other independant retailer). F&T are one of the only chains (IIRC) that do a full fit + a fit guarantee. That will they will find the boots that fit you the best.

T

Trackend

I went into F&T two weeks ago and a pair of ladies wanted to buy some boots for a Kilimanjaro charity climb and not a mention was made that purchasing boots a week before their trip was a bit late to start bedding in new ones.
As for myself I wear for what Im doing, a light weight pair of boots for the forest and something a bit more robust for the hills and I never pay more than £40
I even still have my old pair of ammo boots although I wouldnt recommend pouring tallo in then ramming your socked foot into them as was practiced many years ago. as you had to wear them for the whole day and it made a real mess when you had to clean them up

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
anyone tried 'Le Chameau', i have a pair and they are real comfy! they are also light and waterproof Goretex lined i believe, the sole is vibram super hard wearing. On the down side they can be a little expensive, if you are sure of your size check this site out. http://www.bestboots.co.uk/

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I prefer to go down market with second hand army boots. Tough as old boots and I can wade in water up to 8 inches deep in them. Of course, they are heavy.

On VIBRAM soles: I find these extremely slippery on smooth rocks.

B

Barry Smith

Thanks all for your comments and thoughts. I will take a good look around now and find something suitable.

The reason for asking was that I thought the Berghaus boots that I picked up in the stores just did'nt seem to have as much substance as my old ones.

As for Army boots, I am a fan. I would'nt wear them hill walking as they are a bit heav, but bushcraft use they are great.

I used a pair of US army boots when I did the Journey Man course up in Dunkeld and they were just outstanding.

Barry

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Brasher hillmaster gtx are regarded as excellent boots, having said that, I have a pair of £35 ex army combat/assault boots and they are excellent. By far the best boots I have ever owned! Fit me like a glove, very waterproof and fairly light. Highly recomended!

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Best boots for UK use I don't know but as I do most of my outdoors stuff in the west coast of Scotland and the highlands. I have two pairs of boots that I use walking trails and rough paths got to be Meindl Borneo. Off trail and in woods, peat bogs fishing on loch shore or out on the boat got to be Cabelas 9" Outfitter Series .

The Cabelas 9" Outfitter Series boots stood up very well to a 24-hour fishing trip on Rannoch moor with only some dampness from sweat to the cheap cotton socks I had on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE