Berry ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Am I right in thinking these are Worcester berries? Growing at the bottom of my garden...

If so, what are they good for?

7620866164_c63cb23430_b.jpg

7620863762_00ce47aeeb_b.jpg

7620858090_da2cc3cfbe_b.jpg

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
they look like black currants to me, but i could well be wrong

Definitely not blackcurrants, though they look similar. I have blackcurrants growing next to them and they are definitely not the same. These berries are sort of furry/spiny and have a stalk poking out the end. I tasted one and it was a much milder flavour than blackcurrant.

Here's a picture of a blackcurrant bush to compare:

Schwarzejohannisbeere.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They are blackcurrants mate. Different variety maybe but those are currants and currant leaves. I grow 2 types and both are slightly different in some way. They could quite easily be a currant/gooseberry cross

Do they look like this? If so they are jostaberries, a blackcurrant and gooseberry cross
top-jostaberry.jpg

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
They are blackcurrants mate. Different variety maybe but those are currants and currant leaves. I grow 2 types and both are slightly different in some way. They could quite easily be a currant/gooseberry cross

Do they look like this? If so they are jostaberries, a blackcurrant and gooseberry cross
View attachment 11608

Yes they look very similar to that, so I'm guessing it's either worcester berry or jostaberry. From googling them on the net, it seems that they are different plants but both a gooseberry/blackcurrant cross. My mother seems to think it's flowering currant, but there are no flowers, so still not sure!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The hairs on the berries as they develop give the gooseberry side of things away. The slightly rounded looking leaves in the pic do too.

Interesting fact, blackcurrants are more closely related to gooseberries than they are red, white or pink currants. :)

We have loads of fruit bushes. Much prefer to grow a fruit bush than an annual plant. Its always there and always producing year after year. Blackcurrants can be a bit tart so the goseberry crosses tend to be better eating. :)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
The hairs on the berries as they develop give the gooseberry side of things away. The slightly rounded looking leaves in the pic do too.

Interesting fact, blackcurrants are more closely related to gooseberries than they are red, white or pink currants. :)

We have loads of fruit bushes. Much prefer to grow a fruit bush than an annual plant. Its always there and always producing year after year. Blackcurrants can be a bit tart so the goseberry crosses tend to be better eating. :)

Interesting, thanks for your help. I quite like the tartness of blackcurrants, I've got a batch of blackcurrant vodka on the go right now :D But I'll figure out something to do with the other mystery berries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE