Berghaus Munro frame question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm after a tough simple rucksack to pop on my back when cycling to carry tools, lucn, water etc. It's to replace an old 24l one, which is a bit too small, and I'm looking at Berghaus's Munro.

I know it's been around since prehistoric times, well almost, and many people have had one for years so it must be very robust but I'd like to know a bit more about what the internal frame is made from. I bought a cheapie rucksack but after a couple of trips had to take it back because the metal frame had started to wear through at the top.

So, can anyone tell me what the frame is made from and how it's likely to cope? Is it removable/accessible or sewn in (I would consider adding some extra padding over the frame top if I could) ? I'm not sure if wearing one whilst cycling puts any more strain on the straps but I would expect most to cope.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Alu frame, which you can bend and remove if you wish. Basically a U shape. It fits in under a fabric flap next to the back padding. It's a great pack I doubt you will be disappointed.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Alloy frame as Limead said , my first one lasted me about 20 years with a few minor repairs .
It had a hard life and never let me down .
I recently bought another of gumtree (£15) it just needed the lid elastic repairing and now I can seeit doing me a long time.
Basic but very strong and dependable , just how things should be .

Craig......

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the info, removable frame is ideal. With their popularity I would have thought there would have been a few pictures about of the frame but couldn't find any. Hopefully I'll order one next week.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yep, thanks, that's the place I've bookmarked after reading the recommendations people have made here.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Alloy frame as Limead said , my first one lasted me about 20 years with a few minor repairs .
It had a hard life and never let me down .
I recently bought another of gumtree (£15) it just needed the lid elastic repairing and now I can seeit doing me a long time.
Basic but very strong and dependable , just how things should be .

Craig......

I had mine for 18 years and only the wife made me give it up, just because it was faded

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Had mine for 11 years now and realy cant fault it, if I would change anything it would be to get some MOLLE straps on the front

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I was after the same as you, recently bought a Munro. One of the first things I did was remove the aluminiun "horseshoe shaped frame", to give the bag structure and more padding I replaced it with a couple of sheets of high density foam (kipmat). Im very impressed with my Munro, I wanted a simple 30 litre sack for a long time, dont know why I have left it so long to buy a Munro! If you start with good foundations, you atleast have a chance of building a good house.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE