Bergen / Rucksack / Pack what are the top 5?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks All,

I have been looking at some of your recommendations. Karrimor sabre seems to be the most favoured. Are the plce side pockets compatible with the Berghaus? How comfortable are the kifaru packs, from what I can see via the web there doesn't seem to be much padding. My PLCE has been my main pack for a couple of years, I like the design and the side pocket idea as a separate pack, but comfort is not really it's strong point.

Frogo

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Look for the 'Vector' designation as they are modified and made even more durable by Lowe, specifically to carry really heavy loads over long distances, plus they take into account belt order. The Saracen is current.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The Kif stuff on the other hand is both bomb proof and comfortable. The only thing wrong with Kifaru for me is the cost, they ain't cheep, but they are very robust bags, I've used my Marauder hundreds of times in the past few years and it still looks like new.

Agree. Kiffys are just something else. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for... and they cost a bomb. Wouldn't swap my G2 Zulu for anything else, though.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'll stick to the well tested & cheap Swedish army LK70. After all the Vulcans, Saracens, Haglofs Alaska, ALICE packs & Karrimor's (all excellent packs, no doubt of discussion) this pack has given me the most pleasure and value for money.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Berghaus Vulcan ,
DSC04025.jpg

Berghaus Roc
Berghaus munro

Twodogs

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks again for all the input.

So I have my 5 to choose from.

Berghaus Vulcan.

Karrimor Sabre.

Wolverine.

kifaru.

Lowe Alpine.

As I have said I really need a pack that has the capability of comfort, durability, quality and reliability.

Frogo

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As I have said I really need a pack that has the capability of comfort, durability, quality and reliability.

Frogo,

Most packs from the major manufactures ( I'd exclude Karrimor as they are going through a bit of a rough patch) will be pretty well made and capable of giving good service.

Comfort is a subjective thing what fits me and I find comfortable might be different for you ergo what fits person x on a forum might not best suit person y you'll need to try on what you intend to buy with some weight in it before commiting. I would think I think that is especially true if you are thinking of buying a fixed back pack.

Durability well it depends on what you are doing with the pack. If it's just 'normal' backpacking type stuff most things last a long time if looked after. Ive got a Lowe Alpine backpacking sac that is nothing spectacular has seen a lot of use from me and been borrowed and abused as a loan out / hire pack and it's still going strong it must be 15 years old. If you are going to be hauling it up granite slabs in the Alps or cliping it to the side of a Landrover Wolf then you may want something that is a bit tougher.

Your choices are endless if you're happy to have regular pack colours such as blue, red etc there are heaps of packs out there that are perfectly serviceable for all sorts of activities including bushcraft. If you want something in a subdued OG, Tan type colour then your choices reduce.

Folk on this thread have mentioned a lot of the Classic 'Bushcraft' packs.

Berghaus Vulcan, Karrimor / PRI Sabres, Lowe Alpine etc.

All of these are really good I've got a Vulcan I use a lot and I find it very comfortable and not overly complicated.

I fully expect the waterproofing on the fabric to delaminate as that has happended to my old Roc and Munro. The back gets a bit sweaty and the lid pocket zip could do with being on the other side. Nothing in life is perfect...

However if you're dismissing equally good packs from manufacturers such as say Osprey, Macpac, Arcteryx, Crux, Norrona etc then I think you are doing yourself a disservice.

I'd avoid SAS/Para Bergens, GS bergens, and Alice packs. All are an uncomfortable nightmare...

HTH

John

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Hi Johnboy.

I have used and abused a wide range of packs over the years including norrona, berghaus munro, alice packs, Lowe alpine military, plce bergen etc. I'm not dismissing any manufacturer, I'm not selecting a Bushcraft pack or military pack, I'm not looking for an overly complicated pack and I'm not looking for a custom made pack. My needs have changed and so has the market, external frames etc are not as popular these days.

My pack is not intended as a BOB, 72hr pack, module system, it will be in constant use in the field as well as an urban pack, I'm always on the move so it has to be a good all rounder.

Frogo

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Johnboy.

I have used and abused a wide range of packs over the years including norrona, berghaus munro, alice packs, Lowe alpine military, plce bergen etc. I'm not dismissing any manufacturer, I'm not selecting a Bushcraft pack or military pack, I'm not looking for an overly complicated pack and I'm not looking for a custom made pack. My needs have changed and so has the market, external frames etc are not as popular these days.

My pack is not intended as a BOB, 72hr pack, module system, it will be in constant use in the field as well as an urban pack, I'm always on the move so it has to be a good all rounder.

Frogo

Hi Frogo,

It sounds like you want that 'holy grail' of rucksacks the good all rounder.

What sort of loads are you going to be carrying in it? Not specifically weight but for example say a back packing load for a couple of days at the weekend in a 'field' type situation and then say work / sports stuff in an 'urban' situation.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
vector, commando.....the ultimate......haven't seen one for years!
they had a harness that detached with a QR clip so you could ditch the pack if in danger(like ALICE), and one version had a built in abseil rig!
saw an advertising poster for one, amazing features! including hanging belt side pouches perhaps for ammo?
trade0255bs.jpg

and is it not what the US based their ILBE on? see below:
1_e3bc7a53db4e9fe35b6d6e7af0da8759.jpg

ILBE (Individual, Load Bearing Equipment) a camo vest/belt pack system that superseded ALICE gear.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and one version had a built in abseil rig!
saw an advertising poster for one, amazing features! including hanging belt side pouches perhaps for ammo?..."

No the hanging pouches were for storing the abseil rig, I cut both pouches and rig away to save weight. :yikes:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
vector, commando.....the ultimate......haven't seen one for years!
they had a harness that detached with a QR clip so you could ditch the pack if in danger(like ALICE), and one version had a built in abseil rig!
saw an advertising poster for one, amazing features! including hanging belt side pouches perhaps for ammo?
trade0255bs.jpg

and is it not what the US based their ILBE on? see below:
1_e3bc7a53db4e9fe35b6d6e7af0da8759.jpg

ILBE (Individual, Load Bearing Equipment) a camo vest/belt pack system that superseded ALICE gear.

Yep the Vector Commando straight from the pages of Survival Aids... Next page a 'Lionheart' goretex jacket + trousers.

The ILBE rucksack is based on an Arcteryx design ( the Tango IIRC) but made by a differnet contractor..

Arcteryx have a whole range of uber gucchi kit in the LEAF range.
Prices are gucchi as well.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
If you have some question about the Wolverine ore Need some more pics.
Let me know.

The 50 liters is very versatile.
When everything is fully straped its 50liters but it is 70 liters with everything open.
With the 2 sidepouches you have a 90 liter pack ore a 50 liter pack.
That is the reason why i bought it.

You can also mail them . They can do better English then me and they are quick in responding.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
If you have some question about the Wolverine ore Need some more pics.
Let me know.

The 50 liters is very versatile.
When everything is fully straped its 50liters but it is 70 liters with everything open.
With the 2 sidepouches you have a 90 liter pack ore a 50 liter pack.
That is the reason why i bought it.

You can also mail them . They can do better English then me and they are quick in responding.

Much appreciated Pepperana.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE